A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Problem with my flash site, plzzz help!!!!

Problem with my flash site, plzzz help!!!!

---> http://www.4thdimension.homestead.com
    I'm new at flash, this is my first attempt to create a flash web site. I used javascript to edit the html file that was published from the flashMX file i created in order to use popup windows to display large imgs from thumbnails in the flash movie. i got these codes from some website to put on my thumbnail as action "on (release) { getURL("java script: popup();");}" then insert javascript "function popup() {window.open ('http://......" in my html file. It does load up the images properly, but everytime after i close the popup window tat was loaded, it will mess up all my buttons, watever buttons i click, it will take me back to the first button where the thumbnails were, and i cannot loadup the popup images again. check my website, click all the buttons and thumbnails u'll know wat i'm talking about. I tried and tried, but i couldnt figure out why, its getting on my nerves. Plzzz someone help me out here, i'd really really appreciate it, thanx a million in advance.
    Jeffrey

muvipix.com
    Post your fla (or a portion thereof). Something is going on inside your swf and we can't determine what that is by just clicking on some buttons. I do see your prob though, weird.
    Regards,

Ron

thanks for replying, rhosk. I just uploaded the fla file to my site, when u go to my intro page, just click on the circle "4D" logo to download it. it's about 1.2Mb, so it might take a while to download, i really appreciate u take ur time off to help me, thanks alot.
    Jeffrey

muvipix.com
    Alrighty, didn't take long to figure out what was wrong after taking a look at your .fla. "Lose the 'named anchors'!" Named anchors are not for the purpose that you think they're being used for. From what I understand, they're just so the user can have a reference to come back to in their browser. An example to use them would be say, you have an 'intro', a 'middle scene' and a 'final' (menu scene). And you want to give the user the option to bookmark one of the 3 areas (anchor). Just my 2 cents there.

Long story short, change all those 'named anchors' to normal frame labels and you're all set. I would also recommend referencing your gotoAndStop();'s with _root just to be on the safe side, cause I didn't dig too much into your hierarchy and you want to be sure you target that main timeline every time. Let me know if it works out for you.
    Regards,

Ron

Yayyyy.....!!! u were definately right, Ron. It is the named anchors tat messed me up, as soon as i took them away, it works fine. Finally...yeees!! i thought named anchors will enable users to, for example when they in section 2 click on the back button to go back to where they were (maybe section one). i wanted to make it more convient for user, i guess its not the case. mmm...i'm not sure how to do "_root" (still very green ^_^.), and i know my structure's no good, hopefully i can improve it when i finalize, now i'm just trying alot things out. Well...i dont know wat to say, except thank u sooooo much, i posted mutiple threads in this forum, u are the only one replyed, just wanna let u know ur help is realy appreciated, this thing's been bugging for a week now, thanks again and good luck to u.
    Jeffrey

muvipix.com
    Actually, your structure was pretty good (for being green). I'm no expert by any means, but you're well on your way as far as design (better than me) and structure go to become a fine flasher. I'm glad to help. This forum has taught me so much that I figure I'd give back a little when I can.

I do know that you don't want 'named anchors' for a menu system like that. Like I said, it's for long timelines, and not for what you have. Go ahead and plant a 'named anchor' at "frame one" for users reference, but don't reference it at all in your timeline. This way, users can do the bookmark thing at your site (which they can do anyway just by your html file ). Have a good one!
    Regards,

Ron