dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Linking to PDF from EXE file

Banned
    Will search again...

Banned
    If you right click the batch file, can you create a shortcut? If so do you have a Run box in that shortcut's properties in it's tabs?

hey there
    can u tell me if that works for an exe...
    i want to launch a flash exe from a flash exe..
    ????/?
    any ideas...
    as i tryed the fscommand folder thingie but the file just sits there n stares back at me
    Where is the world??

Banned
    What's this .exe? One of your's?

Just stick the second .exe in the "fscommand" subfolder which must be in the same directory as your first .exe (projector), and exactly named "fscommand". Then in the first .exe, just use...

on(release){
    fscommand("exex", "yoursecond.exe");
    }

!!HELP...Loading PDF with fscommand
    I created a button with fscommand..and put following..

on (release) {
    fscommand("exec", "FinancialCoursenotes.bat");
    }

I ctreated fscommand folder and put in same folder as projector
    in fs command folder I created text doc and saved as .bat with following in text

@ echo off
    start FinancialCoursenotes
    exit

In fscommand folder I also put FinancialCoursenotes.pdf

IT doesn't work!?!
    Please help...deadline looming...lol
    thx

opening pdf

on (release) {
    fscommand("exec", "FinancialCoursenotes.bat");
    }

is right but I think you need to

put

@ echo off
    start FinancialCoursenotes.pdf
    exit

in your bat file

and make sure that all your pdfs and bat files are in the fscommand folder.

hope this helps..

also try using freeMX...this actually opens the pdf without the dos prompt.

good luck!

That's what I did...

opening pdf

Do you want me to send you FreeMX???
    it's too big to attach to this post. I'd have to email it to your or put it on ftp for you.

Just let me know if you still need it.

Setting the bats to be minimized

Actually, you can only set the files to be minimized in Windows2000 and XP by doing this:

1. Copy bat file,
    2. Paste, using "Create shortcut"
    3. Right mouseclick on Shortcut and look at properties
    4. The under the shortcut tab, you can choose, run minimized.

The only problem I see with this is that I don't know the syntax for changing the target to relative, rather then absolute. I imagine if you copied this file to a CD-ROM, it might try to look in the original path.

Any thoughts here????

Tim

Thanks

Hi OldNewbie
    Your advice to Pei Pei answered a huge problem I've been having trying to publish this CD. I'm so relieved, I just had to say thanks!

not really working...

Hi, I've been following every step that talks about how to open the pdf file, the file is good, the .bat is good. But the only problem is, when I click on the button, the DOS screen pop up, but the acrobat won't start, instead, a blank flash standalone player window open...

Advice?

Many thanks!

Banned
    Attach your .fla?

Sort of fix it...

I think I "kind of" fix the problem.

I originally have a "start.exe" file (blank projector w/ 1 a-script calling the main.swf), and a main.swf open the pdf.
    After I posted my previous message, I renamed the start.exe to win.exe, and was able to make the .bat open the pdf file. I assumed, when the .bat called "START /MIN mypdf.pdf", it actually ran the "start.exe" instead of the pdf.....

but anyway, I have a 3 more questions. (hehe... sorry!)

1. The .bat is not working in 2000, the DOS screen flash but didn't open the pdf, is that normal? or I did something wrong?
    2. do I have to put everything (.bat, .pdf) within the fscommand folder? I tried to do "START /MIN ../data/mypdf.pdf", but it won't go up one level and find the data folder...
    3. um.. may be this is not a question.. the getURL does not work if I set Netscape/Mozilla as my default browser! Is there anyway to get around this if I really need to open a pdf in the browser?

Thanks!

Re: Setting the bats to be minimized

i cant get the

on (release) {
    fscommand("exec", "ref01shortcut");
    }

to open my ref01.bat
    it seems like the fscommand dosent work on a shortcut.
    (nothing really happens when i click the button)
    do you know what to do?

Banned
    Think the call should really be...

on (release) {
    fscommand("exec", "ref01.bat");
    }

The .bat, the shortcut, and the .pdf all being in the fscommand subfolder.

Sorry to jump in....

Background:
    Flash MX on the Mac (OS X)

I've spent the better part of the last five hours going through this message board and the actionscript.org message board searching for a solution to this very issue. I've successfully launched PDFs from a .exe projector however they are all launching the browser and then opening the PDF file. I've read through this string and it all theoretically makes sense (haven't implemented it yet) but I don't understand one little thing.

Forgive me if it's something I need not worry about but I was curious what the "add chr(9)" was for.

I'll keep my eye on this post in particular as it was one of the most thorough of all of them. Thanks for your help thus far.

KD

Banned
    That was a script that used to work with Flash 5 (still does if you still have Flash 5), and on PC. Doubt it would work on a Mac.
    That said, you should be following the rest of this thread but using a Macintosh AppleScript file file rather than a batch file if you're still on a Mac. And at that I can help you out further, since I'm on PC.

Gotcha

Oddly enough I'm developing this thing on the Mac for distribution on the PC. I guess I needed the extra challenge? ; )

I've got two tests ready to go as of last night and will post my results here. One of them I fully expect to open browsers despite a post in one of the aforementioned message boards saying it wasn't neccessary.

KD

I've since tested the CDs and as suspected the first one did launch the PDFs via a web browser - not good. The second one (with the .bat files) did bring up the DOS window but didn't launch the PDFs. I suspect that it's because I am not able to write the .bat files as I had hoped. Seems odd to me but if anybody happens to have a .bat file that has worked for them let me know via this thread so we can connect and perhaps have you e-mail one to me so I can try opening it and modifying it on the Mac to suit my needs. At least then I will know that the .bat files isn't the issue.

Thanks again for your help.

KD
    Last edited by kdavids; 11-01-2003 at 05:06 PM.

Follow-up on .bat files on Macs

=================================================
    I've since tested the CDs and as suspected the first one did launch the PDFs via a web browser - not good. The second one (with the .bat files) did bring up the DOS window but didn't launch the PDFs. I suspect that it's because I am not able to write the .bat files as I had hoped. Seems odd to me but if anybody happens to have a .bat file that has worked for them let me know via this thread so we can connect and perhaps have you e-mail one to me so I can try opening it and modifying it on the Mac to suit my needs. At least then I will know that the .bat files isn't the issue.
    =================================================

Hello, I'm also working on a Mac and I have created a dual-platform CD-ROM presentation using Flash MX. I ran into the same problems you had: pdf, word and image files triggered to open via getURL all open in a web browser (on both PC and Mac).

Since my project is way behind yours, can you help me resolve the problems I'm having? I presume you found solutions to the issues you faced.

I'm prepared to use fscommand ("exec", "mybat01") for all of the pdf, Word and images files on the PC; and fscommand ("exec",myactionscript01) for the Mac files. (my CD is dual platform). I understand the .bat and actionscript files need to go in a folder called "fscommand." I also believe all of the actual files (pdfs etc.) need to be placed in that folder as well.

What about the issue of the DOS window opening when the .bat files are executed on the PC? Is there a solution here? Since I work on a Mac, I can't use any of those third-party apps like Jester etc. Also, will the .bat commands work on Windows MX and earlier versions of Windows?

There must be a way and I hope you found it. Please let me know how your project came out and please share the solutions you found to the problems I am facing - the same ones you had when you were working on your CD project.

(I would post my .fla file, but it's over 37 megs, not including the support files - pdfs, word docs, jpgs, eps)

FYI - for jpegs and eps files, I do not want to open them in an image editing application. All I want to do with these is have them transferred from the CD onto the PC and Mac desktop. Do you have scrips for this as well?

Thank you for your kindness and assistance. I really could use a helping hand and so far, your post comes closest to the situation in am currently in.

Happy holidays!
    TL
    nycomet@optonline.net
    nycomet