A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: This can't be that hard?? Is it??

This can't be that hard?? Is it??

I'm trying to make a perpetually scrolling background.

Basically, I have a background image of randomly scattered boxes that I want to float, from left to right, across the background. Obviously I can just tween the background image but then once it runs out there's a jump and/or a blank space while it jumps to the beginning of the animation/movie clip. How can I make this seemless? Is there a way to make it look like the boxes keep floating by without leaving a jump or a space?

I'm open to any suggestions...it doesn't have to be with a single image...I'll do it however it can be done.

Thanks!
    Clint

Developer
    The Bluegrass State Will Flash For Food ™
    Check out %Flash MX install Directory%\Samples\html\Scrolling_starfield.htm

So how do I apply that?

I understand that concept...I just don't understand how to apply it to my own project.

I don't really need randomized boxes or anything. It doesn't have to be that complex. I just want a repeating scrolling background. Is there a relatively easy way to do that?

Thanks,
    Clint
    Clint Balcom
    www.clintbalcom.com

This is not at all hard to do, but explaining it in words isn't easy.

Let's say you have a horizontal image that's scrolling from left to right.

Go into a program like Photoshop. Take two copies of your current background image and merge them into one. In other words, when you're done you'll have a background image that's twice as long, with two copies of the same image side by side. If necessary, blend the edges between the two.

In Flash, tween the image until the image starts to repeat (i.e. the exact same stuff is on screen as there was in frame 1). To make it so there's no skip at all, put a keyframe in the second to last frame, and delete the last frame.

So to summarize....two copies of the same image merged into one long image. Motion tween until one frame before you would have the same stuff as in Frame 1, then end the movie and jump back to frame 1.

Make sense?

Thanks!

Thanks a lot! That worked great...exactly what I was looking for.

Clint
    Clint Balcom
    www.clintbalcom.com