dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: random movie clip

random movie clip

I'm using Flash MX

I would like to know if there is a way I can randomly trigger a movie clip to play? I have created a simple movie clip which is then positioned a number of times in the same scene and on the same frame but I want each of these movie clips to be able to play individually from each other and randomly. Is this possible?

Do you want that each movieclip go to and play a random frame?

Code:
    myMC.gotoAndPlay(Math.floor(Math.random() * myMC._totalframes));
    regards,
    Hamza.

The movieclip is simply a small square that fades in and out over a couple of seconds. However, I would like to be able to position this a number of times on the screen so that they hide the background image and then have them play randomly so that bits of the background image are visible at different times.

This should help Matt:
    http://www.flashingthenet.com/resources.htm

Good luck with you project,
    Jeff

I went to your site and it was really helpful! So, the example you give is for randomly animating one of the 'little lights'. Presumably I can place as many of these 'little light' movie clips into my scene as I like?

Can I be really cheeky and ask another question? Is there a way that I could trigger all of the animations on the scene to fade out and stop on a mouse click?

Don't worry, I've sorted it all out now. If you want to check out a test of the site I am creating go to <www.fernonline.net/flashtest>.

Thanks for your help!