A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Saw this in SITE CHECK!!

FK's Woman Chess Grand Master Seldudet's Avatar
    Wow this thread was a whopper....
    Anyway, I do agree with Fi and pixelranger, the site was overly inspired ie pratically ripped, however i was particularly disappointed in the way in which your views were expressed guys. Stuff like hey 'only 1% of Fk members are pros' and the whole 'you're spamming our industry with crap comment make you guys seems well frankly quite snobby for starters. Ohwell, let's hope that was just the anger (or beer hehe) talking, because some of your posts make it seems as if you're threatened by the other 'hobbiests'here and that you guys believe you are the elite. Design comes from within your heart and you have no right to judge whether someone is an amateur or a pro.

Anyways....something needs to be done about these 'copycats', nearly every 3rd site i see nowadays is a 2a rip or 'something' rip, it's saddening...
    Speedy, easy recipes for penniless students:

Feed The Student

Who luvvvs the doughnut...I luvvv the doughnut !!

Say what you will about the ewa site, a few animation elements were used (preloaded, banner transition) so what? im sure most of you use dual monitors, look at the portfolio section side by side, there totally different. Lines, navagation is pretty simple and standard in most sites, sqaure buttons etc. I didnt know that taking a line and creating angles, geez your bound to get similarities. Not to mention all the art in the site is original, no photographs were used.

Non the less, you wanna see a real rip. have a look at this link

www.gwana.net
    Last edited by dna_hard; 02-21-2003 at 03:36 PM.

Originally posted by gdstudios
    What about Flashlevel taking swipes when his site and his latest portfolio site (linotravel) are obviously overly inspired by 2A and FI. I think it's the nature of the business. The rips will continue and there's really no way to police it.
    You are quite un-educated. Let Shane and David be the judge of that.

bring it!

Originally posted by calpomatt
    Man....this thread got pretty crazy. I doubt that the creator of this site had any idea it would start up a discussion like this.

I myself am completely a hobbiest, so you can take my comments as unqualified if you wish.

A portfolio/design site should be a representation of your OWN ideas and creativity, period. It's a lie to yourself and your client to take the creative works of someone else and exploit them for your own financial gain. There are many cases where people can be inspired by aspects of sites and include variations of those aspects in their own work in a respectable manner. However, when elements of a site are copied in such a frequency or exactness that they are blatently copying a site, the designer should be held accountable.

On the other hand, I find no fault in people copying sites for the sole purpose of learning and building new techniques....just so long as those sites aren't used for profit and credit is given to the original creator. I remember spending hours when I first started with flash trying to copy the menu from eStudio (BlitzDS now).

Once these skills are developed though....think for yourself and come up with a unique design. You'll feel much better about it.

Peace!
    What if you copy your company site, but your portfolio consists of original stuff? I'm telling you, a gray area exists...

Originally posted by Seldudet
    Ohwell, let's hope that was just the anger
    It was, I'm sure.

Originally posted by dna_hard
    Say what you will about the ewa site, a few animation elements were used (preloaded, banner transition) so what? im sure most of you use dual monitors, look at the portfolio section side by side, there totally different. Lines, navagation is pretty simple and standard in most sites, sqaure buttons etc. I didnt know that taking a line and creating angles, geez your bound to get similarities. Not to mention all the art in the site is original, no photographs were used.

Non the less, you wanna see a real rip. have a look at this link

www.gwana.net
    A worse rip than the one posted at the start of this thread for sure.

Originally posted by FLASHLEVEL
    You are quite un-educated. Let Shane and David be the judge of that.

bring it!
    C'mon man. I've comlimented your work because it is very well done. But please don't play the angel and act like it's not obvious that you were inspired by those guys. If you are working with them or you're friends with them and they knew all along, than that's another story. Otherwise, relax man. It's blatantly obvious. You're in luck though because I don't feel as strongly about this issue as some of these other folks. I'm one of those imitation is the sincerest form of flattery guys.
    Last edited by gdstudios; 02-21-2003 at 03:56 PM.

C'mon man. I've comlimented your work because it is very well done. But please don't play the angel and act like it's not obvious that you were inspired by those guys. If you are working with them or you're friends with them and they knew all along, than that's another story. Otherwise, relax man. It's blatantly obvious.
    You obviously , among others have NO IDEA where you are standing.
    Tell me , in what way are my latest 2 sites related to FI or 2A, nothing is similar not even 1 bit.

There are many great animators in both web design and the 3D scene, read again ANIMATION. Get it?

It means, you can animate smoothly like everyone does, but you cannot use the same graphic elements in your animations like the site in this subject is.

For you to even put our name in this thread is not only and insult, but also very stupid from your part.

I hope some day you will understand.

Good luck, and I will let this be my last post in FK.
    Last edited by FLASHLEVEL; 02-21-2003 at 03:59 PM.
    Dash / FL

What if you copy your company site, but your portfolio consists of original stuff? I'm telling you, a gray area exists...
    My whole point was that the company site and portfolio should be original. I was only an advocate for copying when it dealt with learning skills in design.

Also, I took a look at Flashlevel's latest site and missed the connection to 2a. It seems like a very clean, well designed site to me. Amazing work for only 5 days.
    Last edited by calpomatt; 02-21-2003 at 04:05 PM.

The only similarity between 2a/fi and FL are the quality of their sites, the smoothness of their animation, nothing else...

I'm thinking this thread has run its course, now we seem to be back to a rip thread which was not the point of the discussion herein.

if flashlevel doesn't want to post here again I think that's the community's loss but I also think it's an overeaction and people are arguing semantics.

if anyone can think of a really good reason to reopen the thread let me know by pm.