A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Saw this in SITE CHECK!!

Originally posted by dyldebus
    Here's One
    Actually, it would be good to be part of that book, article what ever, and this thread is certainly educating me.

Aversion speaks wise words, its obvious to me he is a professional from his conduct, manner and broader view on the topic. I have never seen his work, it might be aweful looking in my opinion, however he has what is the heart of a professional and understanding of his craft. I think he leads a great example to everyone here at FK, an example of a professional at work.

Originally posted by FI
    Actually, it would be good to be part of that book, article what ever, and this thread is certainly educating me.

Aversion speaks wise words, its obvious to me he is a professional from his conduct, manner and broader view on the topic. I have never seen his work, it might be aweful looking in my opinion, however he has what is the heart of a professional and understanding of his craft. I think he leads a great example to everyone here at FK, an example of a professional at work.
    Agreed. Aversion knows the field of design, but it just doesn't end there. He seems to be quiet adept in other issues as well. Keep complimeting the, guy. He works hard for Flashkit.

Kult Factory Canada andrewBwinter's Avatar
    my man strong bad sums-up the "style" issue pretty well with:
    http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail57.html

In the end the plagerised "style" will fade for the next best thing. I'm not sure why web designers have the exclusive on "original ideas". Print's been ripping from each other for years and doing just fine.

shame about all the anger and rhetoric. The goo and the fish things at the start still look pretty good though.
    Last edited by andrewBwinter; 02-20-2003 at 04:37 PM.
    --
    a thousand camels
    abw

shucks, thanks

someone asked for articles, well here are some sources I look to, not necessarily for inspiration but for education.

http://world.std.com/~uieweb/ (list of articles)
    http://www.paulhibbitts.com/links.html
    http://www.welie.com/patterns/index.html (v. useful for beginners)
    http://psychology.wichita.edu/surl/usability_news.html (this is a great place to start)
    http://www.digital-web.com/tutorials/
    http://valcasey.com/webdesign/
    http://www.alistapart.com/index.html (awesome resource)
    http://www.infourm.com/cycle/feature...oser/index.htm (hehe )
    there are many more.

please note that most of these are web related because I grabbed them from my favourites, but you should look beyond the web and examine other media that you find inspiring, be it print (david carson), decoration, fine art (mondrian! king of layout design ), information design (edward tufte), urban planning (jane jacobs), and many more.

an excellent source of pure design inspiration articles is 'design is...' book from metropolis magazine's archives. I could read almost every article in that book a hundred times and learn something new about being a designer each time.

a lot of the articles I've linked to above might seem simplistic and obvious to some people but I feel that sometimes the obvious is the easiest thing to overlook. Read these articles and realise that you don't have to follow them word for word, sometimes reading about what is done, what is the pattern, allows you to create soemthing new simply because you realise what is 'done'. If that makes any sense!
    Last edited by aversion; 02-20-2003 at 05:49 PM.

Kult Factory Canada andrewBwinter's Avatar

Hard to Find

Don't forget one of the finest digital magazines:
    http://www.macartdesign.matchbox.se published in Sweden.
    Hard to find and only published quarterly but an excellent look at the state of digital art around the world . A digital artist's bible. Sort of like the newer and newer testament each quarter.
    --
    a thousand camels
    abw

coffee anyone?

Intresting how a innocent "from site check" coolsites thread can evolve into a full scale debate about web etics and moral.
    It feels good that some of the top web agencys are taking part of this debate and that they point out that ripping should not be excused as "it happens, so what? its just a sign that you are good".
    Ripping is a serious issue and the sad part is that there are even some individuals that gain money on ripping.

I want to see more debates in this style in the future.

masa.

Originally posted by kony2003
    lol
    What seems to be so funny? Have you ever stoped to look at your own site for a few minutes. I looked at it for a few "seconds", you are one of those that need to start working a little harder.

laugh now.

The design field is one that I am weary of persuing. There is a lot of money to be made, yes, but to get that big break is just a great of a shot in the dark as any. I am not the best out there, but hey, I got a client. I got a client because my dad works for them, and told them that I can create web sites. When I showed them my portfolio, all they noticed was that I "could" create a web site. They not once noticed any artistic ability, the fact that I don't know PHP, nor that I was a high school student. Which is what makes me shudder at the direction this industry has taken.

I had another experience just recently where I was referred to another client. The person that referred me said "He is really good at web design." Because she had seen some of my work. This client then didn't even want to see my portfolio, wanted me to make a web site for them, and then when I told them how much it would cost, they merely shut me out. It is such a hard field as to get a knowledge of what the client wants and needs, of how they want it to feel. They just want a web site, and they don't care who does it, as long as it doesn't cost them very much. There can't be a regulation, nor a license to say that you are a web developer, but how can one regulate the industry as someone mentioned before, book art/game creation etc.

Why can't clients be more informed, have a directory of some sort, and then come out and shop for you, rather than pick you. It becomes a game of who you know and your location rather than you r ability (as much of life is.)

I'm sick of it, although I want to make money to get me thru college and an LDS mission, so I might as well screw some people while I'm on the ride and get what I can out of it.

Sorry for a novel, just my thoughts on the industry that I'm just starting to scratch.

-Kac
    Last edited by Kac; 02-20-2003 at 11:40 PM.

••••••••••••
    Love this thread... anyone wanna fight...?

kazooma.com

Originally posted by kazooma
    Love this thread... anyone wanna fight...?

kazooma.com
    What do you mean?
    Flash Kit Moderator . Duke University
    Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology

Bite Me
    Originally posted by pixelranger
    Let me say this..my comments ..i tried to make General comments...not specifically about THIS one site except where I needed to. This is mainly about all the sites like it that creep up in our/my e-mail box every day... I get pixelranger rips every week...there are 10x as many 2A rips that flood thru every day. People say we should be flattered..but I disagree.

This phenomenon of quickly copying things should not be tolerated. The more it is..the more it will happen. This is MORE than about 2A..its more than about me.

Nionicle.... The same people who are quick to jump to conclusions about using the color blue and 2a..that seem to bug you....are the SAME junior members who are rampantly running around being Inspired. If you are tired of those comparisons..then you should speak to that crowd.

I'm sorry ..but in my opinion..i would rather be like Simon on "Americon Idol" I'm gonna call it like I see it and be bluntly honest...

This stuff happens in ALL mediums.. Print.. Paintings...3d... Sculpture...Television, Video it happens.... but it is soo much easier on the web to copy ..its SOO MUCH easier to hide it..because people probably wont see your site amongst the millions out there...and there are soo many young enthusiasts out there..who want a pat on the back..i just dont people should pat them on the back for some things... plain and simple..
    Yes! Yes! The copying must stop! Stop!!

Bite Me

Did I mention the copying must stop?

imagination through stupidity
    Originally posted by Kac
    The design field is one that I am weary of persuing. There is a lot of money to be made, yes, but to get that big break is just a great of a shot in the dark as any. I am not the best out there, but hey, I got a client. I got a client because my dad works for them, and told them that I can create web sites. When I showed them my portfolio, all they noticed was that I "could" create a web site. They not once noticed any artistic ability, the fact that I don't know PHP, nor that I was a high school student. Which is what makes me shudder at the direction this industry has taken.

I had another experience just recently where I was referred to another client. The person that referred me said "He is really good at web design." Because she had seen some of my work. This client then didn't even want to see my portfolio, wanted me to make a web site for them, and then when I told them how much it would cost, they merely shut me out. It is such a hard field as to get a knowledge of what the client wants and needs, of how they want it to feel. They just want a web site, and they don't care who does it, as long as it doesn't cost them very much. There can't be a regulation, nor a license to say that you are a web developer, but how can one regulate the industry as someone mentioned before, book art/game creation etc.

Why can't clients be more informed, have a directory of some sort, and then come out and shop for you, rather than pick you. It becomes a game of who you know and your location rather than you r ability (as much of life is.)

I'm sick of it, although I want to make money to get me thru college and an LDS mission, so I might as well screw some people while I'm on the ride and get what I can out of it.

Sorry for a novel, just my thoughts on the industry that I'm just starting to scratch.

-Kac

www.elance.com
    Nothing to see here, move along.

Originally posted by Sybersnake
    www.elance.com
    not too shabby... but how would an everyday small business owner know how to go there to get services... thats what I'm saying. Nice link though. I'm just talking in theory, i mean it is virtually impossible.

on another note, my high school web site is hosting a student video for michael jackson's man in the mirror. It is a student made film, they wrote/planned/edited/produced the whole thing, I think it is worthy of a post... check it out:

http://www.chasebrammer.com/ohs/students/videos.htm

-Kac

It always rains here!

Re: This Reply intended for a lot of you.

Originally posted by FI
    I dont intend to be insulting

David Martin
    FI
    Originally posted by FI
    your spamming our industry with crap!

David Martin
    FI
    Originally posted by FI
    I feel strongly about this discussion, but try to remain dignified in my words. Its called being professional. Your feedback on this topic is more than welcome from a constructive and

mature point of view.
    Originally posted by FI

David Martin
    FI
    Originally posted by FI
    with crap!

David Martin
    FI
    Originally posted by FI
    dignified in my words constructive mature point of view.

David Martin
    FI
    Originally posted by FI

David Martin
    FI
    Really? That's what mature is eh? I'll remember that, wise words from someone who proclaims to be an industry leader.

Re: Re: This Reply intended for a lot of you.

Originally posted by Olli_Budworth
    Really? That's what mature is eh? I'll remember that, wise words from someone who proclaims to be an industry leader.
    Troll....

Re: Re: This Reply intended for a lot of you.

Originally posted by Olli_Budworth
    yes whatever a like the word crap! right now, lights my fire, turns me on, if im not careful you will make me climax, JESUS!!.

Example of inspired work

>>
    Attached Images Attached Images

UNified
    Well the best part about this thread is the learning it provides. Aversions articles, rock stars comments and then there are the rest of us either playing with words or just getting involved

What I have found to be the major fault of people that "use" existing design elements and ideas is that their CONTENT is usually not up to scratch. Their passion does not ring through like a bell.

Everyone wants to be a rock star web designer. The pipes are full of us...

Its the coming together of PASSION/COMMITMENT/KNOWLEDGE ( Douglas Arthur, Nevil's Theory 7, TD Collins etc etc ), that seperates sites like this threads subject, from the realy good ones.

When great content meets good usability , colour, navigation etc etc and also god forbid, a good design then sometimes you get original gems.

How the commercial rock stars churn it out for "consumer products" seems to come down to skill, team work and a professional approach

More praise to amatuers that go out on a limb and generate originality.
    The future designers will come from that pool.
    In my humble opinion ...

Great thread BTW