dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Transparency question?

Transparency question?

I have taken screenshot from a SNES game, edited out the background and cropped it so it's just a sprite (kirby, to be precise). But when I try to import this image into flash, the image has a white background and I can't find any way of making it transparent!

I have Paint Shop Pro, Paint, Fireworks, graphics programs. None of them are being very useful. Can anybody help me?

to have a transparent background, export the image as a .PNG

Export it from what? How?

Make sure the background is transparent. In photoshop, click file, save for web. The optimization screen comes up. In the right hand side of the screen are the menus. Select PNG 24 and save. You can do the same in Fireworks, just make sure the background is transparent and under file, choose save as and make sure it is saved as PNG. Then import into Flash (use the default settings when importing).
    Last edited by rusty2000; 02-19-2003 at 11:06 PM.

In Fireworks, I tried using the Paint Bucket tool to fill all the areas I want to be seethrough with transparency (box with red line through it), and saved it as a Fireworks (PNG) file. I imported it into Flash and left all the default settings as they were, however the picture still had white where there should be transparency. What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance, seiken.

I don't use Fireworks that much so I don't know if I can help you, but I'll try. I don't know anything about using the fill bucket to make the background transparent. I tried to make a white canvas transparent that way and the transparent bucket would not work on the canvas. Try this and see if it helps. Open a new document and in the New Document Window, select Transparent as the background in the Canvas Color area at the bottom of the New Document Window. Copy and paste your edited sprite into the new image. File >Save As and select PNG. The background should be transparent and when you import it into Flash, you should have no background showing at all.

I'm sure that there is a simpler way to do this, but like I said, I'm not that familiar with Fireworks. Hopefully, someone who uses it a lot will post an easier way to do this.

Nope

That didn't work, because when I tried to paste it in, it pasted the white of the copied section as well. And paint can only select squares. So it was still white in the background.

Anyone who can help, your help is greatly appreciated.

use photoshop, have your image, with a transparent surround, save it a s a/gif and retain its transparency - then import to flash

He didn't list Photoshop as one of the programs he had, so I gave instructions for one of the programs he said he had.

Anyway, seikendensetsu, you said that you had edited out the background. If there is a white background there, then there is still a background. If it is all white, it should be easy enough to get rid of. In Fireworks, use the magic wand tool to select the white background and delete it.

Also, I just opened up Fireworks and this is how you can export a gif and select a color to make it transparent. File>Export Wizard. Click Continue in the window that opens up. Click continue again to accept that the image is going on the web. In the Analysis Results, click Exit. You are now in the export preview window. Under Format, selct Gif. Below that you should see a text field that says no transparency. Click on the arrow for the drop down menu and select either the index transparency or the alpha transparency, and select white or whatever color you want transparent, in the matte window. Click export and save. That should work. Good Luck.

my bad rusty thats what you get for skim reading!- your fireworks gif solution should work for sure.

Thanks a lot rusty, the magic wand select and delete did the trick. ^_^

Now I can hopefully make a successful animation (for once)