dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: how to recreate a clever effect...

how to recreate a clever effect...

Some days ago I came across a site that uses a menu very similar to the one I had in mind for my own site. The only problem is that my current knowledge of Flash MX is pretty basic- I hope that maybe some of you guys could explain me how to create something like this.

http://www.halolounge.com/

Are these just cleverly designed vector graphics made with MX?
    I wasn´t able to find out how to add smooth borders to shapes- do I have to import those from freehand? I think Flash3 had some kind of smooth effect but I couldn´t find it in MX.

Thank you in advance

half as fun, double the price senocular's Avatar
    what exactly are you refering to?

nope, for something like that you will have to make it frame by frame in photoshop.

@ senocular:
    I was refering to the "morphing " menu at the bottom of the site- put your cursor above it and t<ke a look what happens. It´s a pretty neat effect i think.

@big_k:
    argh...no chance to do it another way? I´looks like a clean job so that´s why I assumed one could at least use freehand vector based graphics- which would also allow to let Flash do the shape tweening or something....
    Doing it frame by frame in photoshop is quite a lot of work. The actual creation of each frame isn´t difficult but deciding the correct postions of each element in the eg 12 frames is.

Lord of the Singhs
    cudnt this be done in aftereffects and then expoerted as swf????
    CooL "N" CalM

my body is sore
    my eyes are red
    i still itch for more
    before i hit the bed

Its not that hard at all. You can do it with swift3d or 3d max.

Lord of the Singhs
    i'm not so sure it was created using swift3d or 3dmax... the shapes are too smooth for that.... i am suspecting it might be livemotion cos i think it can manipulate the photoshop layers.

regs
    CooL "N" CalM

my body is sore
    my eyes are red
    i still itch for more
    before i hit the bed

I got no experience with after effects- though i´ve been told before that it looks as if it could have been involved.

Regarding 3dmax I have to add that it looks a bit too precise to be a typical rendering- although of course a pro can do everything.

If I was only to draw a single frame I surely would use Photoshop and for a vector file I probably use freehand/illustrator because I still hope this effect is only a clever shrinking/expanding trick in Flash MX involoving a few dozen layers with blurry edges.

But maybe they rendered it first and then painted over the individual frames to get this look?

there are also some new effect on photoshop 6 that could handle this without too many problems.... but frame per frame anyway....