dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: help! choppy/fuzzy/blurry images???

help! choppy/fuzzy/blurry images???

I can't get the images in the flash site to be clear. I use alot of raster images some are 400 x 200 and larger. They are always burry and choppy with rough edges. I have tried importing from Photoshop with PNG, JPEG and even importing SWF files from Illustrator.
    Any solutions or tutorials out there?
    HELP?
    Thanks
    A.

Have you tried bumping up the quality when you're exporting it out? Try setting to 90 so that it will look crisp, but yet keep your file sizes minimal.

You can also try going into your library, right click on your image, go to properties and uncheck "allow smoothing", that sometimes helps as well.

image quality

What do you mean export? I import the images I prepared in Photoshop from my hard drive. Usually a JPEG or PNG. I have tried unchecking allow smoothing some times it helps alittle. What export settings are you referring too?
    Thanks
    A.

I'm talking about when you export your movie out of flash as an SWF file. Just go to File > Export Movie, give your file a name, click save and a dialog box will popup. You should see an input field for JPEG quality, it's normally defaulted at 50 which is pretty low so I usually change that to any number above 80, but below 100. Setting it to 100 would make the file size dramatically larger so something like 90 would keep the file size down and there's barely that much of a difference from setting it to 100. I hope that's a bit more clear. =)

image quality

Thanks
    I understand now what you mean by export but why would you export when you could just save the FLA file and then publish it as a SWF when you are done? Whats the advantage from exporting? Is it to be able to set these picture qualities?
    Thanks
    A

Publishing it is almost the same thing as exporting it out as swf, either way you'll end up with a swf file. When you are publishing it, go to Publish Settings and click on the Flash Tab, you'll also see that you'll be able to adjust the jpeg quality with the slider as well. Either way is fine.