dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: i'm having a tell target problem actionscript problem

i'm having a tell target problem actionscript problem

hello all,
    i am having a problem in Flash MX that has to do with the 'tell target' actionscript function. what i'm trying to do, i also did exactly the same way in Flash 5 and it worked 100%. my problem is, i have a movie clip and have several buttons that call-up different parts of that movie clip. when you call-up each part of the clip, the clip before it dissapears and the new clip appears. i know this is supposed to happen but it doesn't in my case. my first button calls-up the first part of the clip but as soon as i click on any other buttons, it calls-up the correct part of the clip but it is layered on top of the first clip. if i click-on another button, say the forth button, it calls-up the first four parts of the movie clip all layered on top of eachother. i know in the MX actionscript panel, it says that 'tell target' is depreciated. am i still able to use it in MX as i would in Flash 5or is there another way to do this now. the actionscript for my buttons is:onRelease tellTarget("my movieclip's instance name") goTo and play("my frame # for the perticular part in the movie clip") i'm still learning Flash, in perticular MX, so any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.
    aaron a.

Banned
    Where are all these movie clips? All stacked up on stage but invisible until called, because they're stopped on a first blank keyframe? tellTarget is deprecated but still works, and in the same manner it use to work in 4 & 5. No different in MX.

to: oldnewbie,
    i actually have only the one movie clip but i'm calling different parts of it up in 10 frame segments. i imported into MX the actual movie clip from my movie done in flash 5. it worked great in 5 and i didn't change a thing in MX and it's a 'no go'. thanks for your help.
    aaron a.

Banned
    Can you attach this .fla?

i actually deleted the movie clip because i'm going to redo it once i figure this out. i can make a very generic movie with a couple buttons and a movie clip in which i will use tellTarget to call-up the different parts of that movie clip exactly the way in which i did this. i can send you the .fla and maybe you could check it out for me. thanks.
    aaron a.

Banned
    As you wish!

perhaps i have figured it out. i just made a generic movie in MX that operates the exact same way as my original. everything works 100%. could it be that when i imported the movieclip into my library from Flash 5 to MX, it somehow got corrupted or MX just didn't reconigize the actionscript? anyway, thanks for your help along the way.
    aaron a.

Lord of the Singhs
    this does seem like a pvt conversation but excuse me if i'm interrupting

instead of using telltarget i suggest u start using "with"

on (press) {
    with (_root.whatever_mc) {
    gotoAndPlay("label");
    }
    }

or u cud use the preffered dot syntax

button_mc.onPress = function(){
    _root.whatever_mc.gotoAndPlay("label");
    }

as u already know tellTarget is deprecated... and i think it's replacement is with()

Hope this was helpful
    regs
    CooL "N" CalM

my body is sore
    my eyes are red
    i still itch for more
    before i hit the bed

thank you for the info. i do have it all straightened-out now. however, i will try the with() a/s in the future. thanks.
    aaron a.