dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: fps...and YOU!

fps...and YOU!

I have a question. What is a good general rule for FPS to use. I guess the idea here is choppiness vs. user-alienation. Using 12 FPS is out of the question, but I know that the higher you go, the more CPU intensive the site can be.

Given that, I guess my question is what the optimum FPS is to use without limiting your viewership only to those with Hot Rod PCs?

RH

p.s. I usually use 24 FPS. What would a company like FI or 2A or neostream be using?

well the speed of the eye is 26fps which also is what tv uses so i wouldnt go over that or it would be pretty useless (someone correct me if im wrong). i usually use around 20-26 fps
    Bill Erickson: resume | portfolio
    1 | 2 | 3 | 4
    Great Designs for $100

Banned
    Film->24 fps. TV(NTSC)->30 fps (actually 29.97 fps). TV(PAL)25 fps.

Developer
    The Bluegrass State Will Flash For Food ™
    Originally posted by MG315
    someone correct me if im wrong
    I believe you're wrong... here is a discussion that went on a while ago...

Originally posted by gSOLO_01
    Well... I guess it depends on your audience.

When tweening, frames can be dropped which helps when syncing with music and stuff. Try raising the fps while still keeping the same length (in time) for the tween.

When using ActionScript no frames are dropped (i.e. when using onEnterFrame etc...). This may be a problem on slower machines that would normally drop frames. Now they have to work on displaying every frame before going to the next. While faster machines have no problem.

Mad Scientist
    I'm using 29.97 or 30fps if i really want to detail the animation.. It helps alot if you're using easing in or out.

Developer
    The Bluegrass State Will Flash For Food ™
    I always use 30...

http://newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/gen01/gen01025.htm
    When an image strikes the retina the nerve impulses last approximately
    1/25 sec. This is why motion pictures appear to move continuously, even
    though the number of frames/sec. is not extremely fast.

1/25 sec. is 25 frames per second...

but if what theyre talkin bout in that other topic is true (bout frame rate on computers different from real framerate) then i have no idea the optimal framerate
    Bill Erickson: resume | portfolio
    1 | 2 | 3 | 4
    Great Designs for $100

uh... the tv monitor is all from 60-100fps, so it CAN show that. Everything looks smother the more fps you add, even if the eye doesn't see more than 26. The new dvd-format will be much more fps.
    Hot Rod - The Flash Game
    Kinda like Street Rod, only more advanced!(when it gets done, that is!)

Mad Scientist
    man... your a thread digger..

No offense but this thread is ages ago. hehe..

Senile member! :)
    Also just as a note. Higher FPS does *not* mean a smoother movie. It all comes down to how the computer playing the movie can keep up. The first it gets behind the movie will look just as crappy as a low FPS movie.

/Mirandir

I was thinking of how the screen would display it, not how the computer wants to display it.
    Hot Rod - The Flash Game

Quote Originally Posted by kongknallert
    uh... the tv monitor is all from 60-100fps, so it CAN show that. Everything looks smother the more fps you add, even if the eye doesn't see more than 26. The new dvd-format will be much more fps.
    uh... how about how this thread is 2 YEARS OLD!?!?!?

Good lord. Resurrecting the dead is quite an understatement here.
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

the dead gotto breath too.
    Hot Rod - The Flash Game

PLEASE HELP! The problem that I am having is with these floating text scroll bars which were created on a Mac using Flash MX.

I.E. Please go to www.ericmantel.com - click on "ENTER" click on "ABOUT ERIC" then click on "Endorsements" and you'll see exactly what I am talking about!

They need to be expanded to fit for more text if needed. The text area is too small. They can only fit a certain amount of text in the text area before it gets chopped off. I figured out on how to expand the text inside the scroll area but the text scroll bar itself doesn't stay within the scroll arrows of the scroll bar, it goes beyond. What I need to be able to do is, expand the text so the scroll bar stays within the arrows of the scroll bar. It needs to expand to the amount of text being typed inside.

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!!!!! I have been trying to get this problem fixed for over a year now and no one wants to help me!

Flasher
    When i first started using flash MX and used the mouse follow stuff to make a movieclip follow the mouse pointer around and sort of slide around with it... Used to have to use flem for flash 5 to get it to work? you guys should remember.

anyway, i always found the animation of the dragging would be choppy. so i kept increasing the frame rate. wasnt until 31 fps that it became perfectly smooth. even 30 fps was choppy. this was on my old pc. so anyway, i began to use 31 fps, and thats what i would always use till i got my new pc. then i rounded it off to 30 and kept it that way...