A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: MySQL create data base problems

MySQL create data base problems

I’ve down load a number of different distributions of MySQL however no matter which version I install I am unable to log in with permission to create databases, yes I’ve run the script mysql_install_db and yes I tried logging in as mysqladmin –u root . I keep getting an error with my host name that I can’t fix.

From the documentation it would all seem fairly straight foreword but I haven’t been able to get any where, the best I’ve been able to achieve is create some data in the default test data base. Surly I not the only one to have trouble with this any ideas.

yarrab

If you install this release, but then use mysql_install_db over the command line with the --force option to specify localhost as the server.
    I think the problem is MySQL expects a fully qualified domain name; something home users are pretty unlikely to have.

So;

./mysql_install_db --force localhost

Is what I think the command should be, can't remember properly...
    Sam

thanks for the reply

Thanks for the help I’ve downloaded this version however from some of the reviews I’ve noted that you must remove the MySQL user created from a previous version that I had also loaded. This is something that has also cause me some problems when I open users in the preference panel I am unable to delete this uses. I can create other users and then delete them but not the user created by the previous version – any ideas

yarrab.

hmm, is there an uninstal script that comes with the other one?
    If it's the release from www.entropy.ch then there's an uninstaller script on the site.

Either way, you can use the foce option with any install of MySQL, I just think this one is better as it puts things in the right place for Mac OS X (the Library), so yu could keep the old one instead.
    Sam

Fixing MySQL after upgrading to Mac OS X 10.2

I did a little more digging around on google and found this link http://www.golivein24.com/tips/dynam...guar_fix.html. Which as the name implies Fixing MySQL after upgrading to Mac OS X 10.2 seemed to do the trick. I reinstalled the distribution as per your link above and all seems well.

This tutorial uses the application Net Info Manager to delete a previously install users mysql user. In my case I didn’t have to create the user in the accounts prefpane as it already existing, I only had to delete the mysql user from a previous installation in Net Info Manager.

I hope this helps somebody as I've been racking my brains for a week now. Once again thanks for the help