Hybrid View

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.

exciting life - steve irwin eat your heart out

I have just spent the last hour or so trying to wrangle a 4ft black snake out of my house before I think about going to bed. Gets the heart pumping....no Steve Irwin "grab'm by the neck and look 'em in the eye" stuff though.

A broomstick and a handy cane knife in case he decided to head into the bedroom instead of out the back door.

Best aerobic excercise, the old heart rate almost doubles.

david p.
    No longer a Flashkit mod, not even by stealth

Insanity is just a point of view. After all, the world looks pretty normal through your own underpants.

you crazy antipodeans and your strange hobbies.
    "They're very much like scruffy pigs to look at, and they've got big, knobbly warts and lumps all over their long, hairy faces. They are very, very ugly indeed..."

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.
    ......and thats just a relaxing way to spend the last few minutes before going to bed.

Don't ask what we do for a bit of excitement

david p

Insanity is just a point of view. After all, the world looks pretty normal through your own underpants.

wish I had a snake in my house...
    right old crockodile dundee arent you?

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.
    Originally posted by qetret
    wish I had a snake in my house...
    right old crockodile dundee arent you?
    nah, you don't....not when you know that a bite from it would at the least make you very sick and require a trip to hospital and someone to drive you there 'cos you would be feeling real crook. Then you would spend about 3 -4 days in hospital, maybe suffer from creeping necrosis, where the flesh around the bite continues to die for sometimes years afterwards and can require amputation of affected limbs.

....it doesn't sound like too much fun, I had a friend who lost the first joint of one of his thumbs to a bite from a similar snake. He was very sick for about a week and they took his thumb off about 5 weeks later 'cos it wouldn't stop rotting.

david p.

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.
    from - http://www.usyd.edu.au/anaes/venom/envenomation.html

Venomous Australian creatures

Australia is unfortunate in having many species of venomous creatures, both on land and in the sea, including:

38 terrestrial snakes and 23 sea snakes.

22 spiders, 4 ants, the honey bee, 3 wasps, 2 beetles(!), 6 scorpions, 2 caterpillars, centipedes, millipedes, mosquitoes, sandflies, thrips and other insects.

The platypus and echidna both have venomous defence systems.

In the coastal waters there are 2 blue-ringed octopi, 7 jellyfish, cone shells, 2 stonefish, 21 other fishes including the flathead, the Port Jackson shark, 11 rays, starfish including the crown of thorns, corals, anemonies, urchins, stinging sponges, marine worms, leeches, frogs and toads.

As far as snakes go, Australia is home to the ten most lethal in the world. Sturan Sutherland reckons that of the world's top 25 venomous snakes, Australia has 21. After considering venom toxicity, average yield, and aggressivness, he ranked the North American diamond-backed rattlesnake at number 25 in the world, with the Indian cobra and African black mamba 12th and 13th respectively!

dp

An Inconvenient Serving Size hurricaneone's Avatar
    Originally posted by david petley
    ....it doesn't sound like too much fun, I had a friend who lost the first joint of one of his thumbs to a bite from a similar snake. He was very sick for about a week and they took his thumb off about 5 weeks later 'cos it wouldn't stop rotting.

david p.
    Yeah, thanks for that - with my morning coffee.

'Feeling real crook' - Now that's Oz-speak. Cool.

Stand by for emergency synapse rerouting

mullet king
    I dont think I would be calm enough to gently urge it out of my house.... straight for the meat cleaver and shovel for me!

Nope, no snakes in my country. Some guy called Patrick got rid of 'em all. I hear they make good belts.

can you chop a snake up like you can a worm? I mean if you chop a worm into 50 pieces, then you get 50 living worms right? can you do the same to a snake...
    Imagine if you chopped it into 50 pieces and all 50 pieces started chasing you round the kitchen....thats quite scary actually

Senior Moderator ®
    FK´s Banning Machine ™

Re: exciting life - steve irwin eat your heart out

Best aerobic excercise, the old heart rate almost doubles.

david p.
    You should be a senior mod

Re: exciting life - steve irwin eat your heart out

I have just spent the last hour or so trying to wrangle a 4ft black snake out of my house before I think about going to bed. Gets the heart pumping....no Steve Irwin "grab'm by the neck and look 'em in the eye" stuff though.
    nice one, I was in the same situation once, not in merry old england where nothing is venemous except people in retail. I was in costa rica alone at a friend's house, a simple shack with no walls, sleeping in a hammock and a fer de lance tried to crawl in with me

it had come up an abutting tree from the ground and seemed to think my hammock was a good place to hang... someone getting out of a hammock in an emergency is not a pretty sight! After I picked myself up off the floor I grabbed a machete and prepared for an atavistic struggle for survival! I didn't want to kill him but he was just hanging there, half on the tree and half in the air swaying. I thought the sight of a half-naked crazed pasty englishman waving a two foot knife would scare him but apparently he had seen it all before...

in the end he succumbed to my bashing the tree with the machete and disappeared into the dark but I slept with one eye open that night.

funnily enough I never had any close encounters in my trips to australia, even when camping in the outback for a couple of weeks, so don't let the stories put you off going

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.
    Originally posted by qetret
    can you chop a snake up like you can a worm? I mean if you chop a worm into 50 pieces, then you get 50 living worms right? can you do the same to a snake...
    Imagine if you chopped it into 50 pieces and all 50 pieces started chasing you round the kitchen....thats quite scary actually
    the stuff of nightmares, like disneys wizard's apprentice with his broom but I am sure you cannot chop anything into 50 pieces and have them all zooming around very soon.

dp

Re: Re: exciting life - steve irwin eat your heart out

Originally posted by aversion
    I thought the sight of a half-naked crazed pasty englishman waving a two foot knife would scare him but apparently he had seen it all before...
    They feed on lizards, frogs, birds and small mammals...

and are especially fond of pasty englishmen.
    He was after you, mate

hehe, remind me to take the spray on tan mext time!

FK's Official A&A Addict
    y'know in thailand we chop of the head of a snake put the blood in a glass mix it with some honey and drink it that's a great way to start the morning (well with we i actually mean they )

but remember boys and girls if you ever get bitten by a venemous snake the thing you should do is cut off the blood circulation 5 cm above of the snakebite with some rope or something like that (and really tie it off not that wimpy english "my-hand-is-turning-purple-i better-not-cut-it-off-that-much" kind of tie's anyway after an hour cut off the bloodcirculation 5 cm above the the first place you tied of (so 10 cm above the snake bite) and untie the first rope.

you could repeat it several times it should give you enough time to go to the hospital... and after 5-7 of these cycles (depending on what kind of venom it is) you don't even have to go to the hospital as the immune system has already dealt with the venom. Ofcourse that's what they told me at the snake farm just before they put a (non venomous) python on my nek

Ps. am i glad i live in the netherlands where snakes and venomous spiders die instantly from freezing cold

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.
    RE:snakebite

we were always taught to -
    1) apply a compression bandage to the whole of a bitten limb. eg, bitten on the finger, wrapped from fingertips to armpit in constricting bandage.
    2) Keep as still as possible.
    3) Get to a hospital.

david p.

Originally posted by aversion
    hehe, remind me to take the spray on tan mext time!
    That orange tan color'll turn off any self-respecting predator.

And potential mammalian dates as well, but what'd ya rather be, celibate or snake chow?

Don't answer that.

FK's official coffee addict gasbag15's Avatar
    I've only ever seen one (wild) snake in melbourne, it was a black snake. But in queensland I had my fair go at chopping afew brown snakes heads off with a machete.

What about a tan like dark brown in colour? :B