A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: exciting life - steve irwin eat your heart out

FK's Official A&A Addict
    Originally posted by david petley
    RE:snakebite

we were always taught to -
    1) apply a compression bandage to the whole of a bitten limb. eg, bitten on the finger, wrapped from fingertips to armpit in constricting bandage.
    2) Keep as still as possible.
    3) Get to a hospital.

david p.
    well that gives the venom the change to spread to the rest of your body, wich ofcourse you don't want... ofcourse if you wrap the bandage on so tght you don't feel your arm... then it's ok

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.
    Originally posted by justice strike
    ofcourse if you wrap the bandage on so tght you don't feel your arm... then it's ok
    that is pretty much what you are trying to do from my understanding, they have found that in some cases, the restriction of blood flow does more damage than the snakebite does.

this is a recommendation by my doctor -
    Apply pressure immobilization bandage (PI) and splinting of the limb to any neurotoxic bite and to any very serious bite by a large cytotoxic snake likely to have systemic effects.

and this - "The evidence suggests that cutting and sucking, or applying a tourniquet or ice does nothing to help the victim," says Dr. Barish, a co-author of the study. "Although these outdated measures are still widely accepted by the general public, they may do more harm than good by delaying prompt medical care, contaminating the wound or by damaging nerves and blood vessels," Dr. Barish adds. The article was also co-written by Richard Dart, M.D., Ph.D., F.A.C.P., associate director of the Rocky Mountain Poison Center.
    ....comes from here - http://www.umm.edu/news/releases/snakebite.html

and from here - http://www.smuggled.com/arfexts1/R518.htm

The treatment most commonly recommended by experts now in the event of snakebite is the following:-

1/ Apply a firm broad constrictive bandage at the site of the bite.
    2/ Immobilize the limb and if possible, the whole person.
    3/ Reassure the patient, as stress is an unwanted harmful factor.
    4/ Get medical treatment, in particular anti-venom if required. If possible alert the local hospital of the impending arrival of the patient.

Don'ts About Snakebite And Its' treatment.

Do not cut the wound, or use condys' crystals (potassium permanganate)
    in treatment.

Do not use a tourniquet, unless you don't have access to something that can be used as a broad constrictive bandage.

Do not suck the wound.

Never amputate the limb as the risk of serious infection will be greater than that from the actual bite.

Do not try to catch or kill the snake for identification purposes, as the risk of further bites is an unwanted factor. The use of polyvalent snake anti-venoms does not make positive identification a crucial factor in snakebite treatment.

Do not restrict free chest movement or breathing activity by the patient.

we got lots o' snakes here in Australia, in the top 10 list of most toxic, Australian species hold every place....every hospital usually has antivenoms for local poisonous snakes.

dp
    No longer a Flashkit mod, not even by stealth

Insanity is just a point of view. After all, the world looks pretty normal through your own underpants.

FK's Official A&A Addict
    blablabla long boring story bla bla bla

well i'm not talking about cutting off the limb, i'm talking about cutting off the blood circulation, so the venom doesn't have the chance to spread to the rest of the body... btw i'm not doubting that bandaging the whole limb very tightly has the same effect, and i certainly wasn't referring to sucking out the venom or cutting out the wound...

owell it's only what i hear at the snake farm in thailand, they're a major source of snake venom for the hospital in bangkok. And ofcourse that was several years ago when i was still 12 or something like that

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.
    Originally posted by justice strike
    well i'm not talking about cutting off the limb, i'm talking about cutting off the blood circulation, so the venom doesn't have the chance to spread to the rest of the body... btw i'm not doubting that bandaging the whole limb very tightly has the same effect, and i certainly wasn't referring to sucking out the venom or cutting out the wound...

owell it's only what i hear at the snake farm in thailand, they're a major source of snake venom for the hospital in bangkok. And ofcourse that was several years ago when i was still 12 or something like that
    yeah, I'm not claiming any expertise on this either, just passing on latest first aid opinion as offered to me...... thankfully it is an easily researched subject.

dp

Insanity is just a point of view. After all, the world looks pretty normal through your own underpants.

FK's Official A&A Addict
    i agree

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.
    must be the month for snakes in the house.....

this time a small "night tiger" (Brown Tree Snake), very pretty, salmon pink underbelly, greeny-brown back with black pattern. Venomous but back-fanged, so not really dangerous to people unless you stick your finger in it's mouth.

You can tell the night hunting snakes, they always have really big eyes (all the better to see you with, my dear).

These little guys eat small rodents, frogs, lizards, roaches...
    mmmm yummy

david p.

hi..
    Maybe that little o'le snake just came in to lay her eggs.

Several hundred no doubt. Te-He
    If someone tells you it can't be done,
    it's probally because they don't know how.

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.
    Originally posted by mave_the_rave
    hi..
    Maybe that little o'le snake just came in to lay her eggs.

Several hundred no doubt. Te-He
    Thanks for those re-assuring words LOL

Knowing the wildlife around here, they would need to be laid somewhere the big stripey skinks that live here couldn't get to them.

These guys are really cute, about 12 - 16 inches long fully grown, I have watched 4 generations wander around eating roaches and any other edible stuff they find.

soon after they are born, mom brings out the babies, usually 2, for a vist and orientation, they are seriously cute then, like all babies, about 3 inches long and with the same curiousity as babies for the big wide world.

david

hmmmm. maybe australia should be taken off my list of places to visit. I have no problem with snakes, per se, but you know what?

snakes in my house = man on tv with shotgun and floor full of holes...

no way dude.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Hi..
    I have seen some amazing wild life programms about Australia.
    Nearly everything there wants to kill you.

How do you guys stay alive. ?
    If someone tells you it can't be done,
    it's probally because they don't know how.

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.
    Originally posted by gerbick
    hmmmm. maybe australia should be taken off my list of places to visit. I have no problem with snakes, per se, but you know what?

snakes in my house = man on tv with shotgun and floor full of holes...

no way dude.
    gerbick,

in 12 years of living up here oon the edge of world-heritage listed sub-tropical rainforest, I have seen snakes in my house about 5 times (except for the big 8 ft python in the roof, who is there permanently and keeps the rodents and any other snakes stupid enough to come in pretty well under control)

Don't Scratch Australia off the list because it has a thriving ecosystem

david

as long as I get a complimentary snake bazooka when I stroll through Customs, I'll keep it on the list

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.
    Originally posted by mave_the_rave
    Hi..
    I have seen some amazing wild life programms about Australia.
    Nearly everything there wants to kill you.

How do you guys stay alive. ?
    well, if you believe in survival of the fittest, it is probably some genetic thing where the weak don't survive so we are all really tough now
    ......Or more likely, most Australians live in the suburbs of big cities, dotted along the coastline of this country which is basically one big desert, and are as paranoid about wildlife as all suburban dwellers seem to get.

Modern man really wants to pretend that he does not co-exist with a whole range of critters, so he puts screens on his windows, kills spiders, sprays or swats all bugs and mothes out of existance, makes sure that nothing but what he wants in his house lives there....makes him feel more in control of his life I guess.

david

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.
    as long as I get a complimentary snake bazooka when I stroll through Customs, I'll keep it on the list
    I believe they hand out 6 foot long 'snake bashin' clubs' in immigration.

david

I believe they hand out 6 foot long 'snake bashin' clubs' in immigration.

david
    good enough for me...

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.

Modern man really wants to pretend that he does not co-exist with a whole range of critters, so he puts screens on his windows, kills spiders, sprays or swats all bugs and mothes out of existance, makes sure that nothing but what he wants in his house lives there....makes him feel more in control of his life I guess.

david
    one good thing about all these critters....they constantly remind me that I am not in total control .....just a co-dweller.

dp

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.
    I do get a bit jumpy after one of my meetings with a snake though....for about the next hour or so, every power lead "snaking" across the floor from a powerpoint makes me jump when I see it from the corner of my eye.

david

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.
    anyway, you Americans have wildlife that can hunt and eat you

We don't have anything like that, you gotta stumble across it, it doesn't stalk you.

dp

anyway, you Americans have wildlife that can hunt and eat you

We don't have anything like that, you gotta stumble across it, it doesn't stalk you.
    do you recall my encounter with a bear, about a year ago?

now that was terror... it stood up on two legs, roared like a movie effect, looked at me like I was a small snack, and proceeded to make me think of my (then) current place in the food chain.

and I can't believe my dumb dog was sitting there wagging her tail. what gives!?

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.
    do you recall my encounter with a bear, about a year ago?

now that was terror... it stood up on two legs, roared like a movie effect, looked at me like I was a small snack, and proceeded to make me think of my (then) current place in the food chain.

and I can't believe my dumb dog was sitting there wagging her tail. what gives!?
    nope, must have missed that, but boy, those brown bears get big. It must have been very scary. And your dog liked it, eh? LOL
    Did you run? or walk carefully away?

....I would have needed a change of pants in my backpack

david