dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Loading Bar

Guerilla Records

Loading Bar

Hey,

I'm kind of new to Flash MX... I've designed a site with a pre-loading bar... however, it takes quite a while to load on a regular 56k modem... does anyone know how to make it so i can have a pre-load bar on each page rather than the whole movie?

The web address is http://www.guerilla-records.com if you'd like to see the current loading bar i have!

Please help me... I really need this to work as the site in question is a new "business" so to speak! I really can't have people waiting for hours while my site loads.

Cheers

Murph
    Jonathan Murphy
    Guerilla Records

http://www.guerilla-records.com

Banned
    It loads pretty fast on cable... But the only other way would be to make seperate movies and just load News and the main interface as a main movie.

Guerilla Records
    Are you sure that's the only way?

As i say, i'm new to most of this so i might just be making myself look stupid here, if so, i apologise!

I understand that if i create seperate swf files, each with their own preloader and html page that would work! however, i'd like to be able to leave a shell, and just have the preloader come up whenever a link to a page was clicked...

My current preloader says

bytes_total = Math.round(_root.getBytesTotal());

is there no way to work out the bytes in a certain section of frames... for example, bytes_total = (the number of bytes in frames 1-30 of my movie)

then when you click on the next section, another preload bar with
    bytes_total = (the number of bytes in frames 31-60).

As i say, i might just be making myself look stupid here, but it was just a thought! Help me out if you can.

Thanks.

p.s. this link: http://www.disturbed1.com/home.html is to a flash site which has the exact thing i'm looking for, it has a preload bar at the start, and then when you click on a section, it loads that individually.

If anyone can help me here, i'd appreciate it a lot!!!

Murph.

Banned
    Suit yourself man! I believe your link is exactly done as I was proposing, but it's also possible to design your preloader, to have the movie start playing earlier, and to continue downloading the rest in the background. But to have the preloader show up again in the situation that a button was clicked but that the content wasn't loaded yet, is another story!

Hey JDMurphy,

Well had a quick look at your site and would like to post some feedback to say that I think it is simple yet effective. I am a drummer and would love to keep up to dat ewith you rcompany site as it is easy to navigate. You could do some really cool stuff in later versions of your site. Being a designer who has been a lot of flash lately I beleive that you could cut down your load time at the front by just preloading the actual framework for the main movie then make all the other stuff loaded in have their own preloaders as I am on modem and had ot wait for a long time. WOuld be better to get the framework up then the user would not be so worried about waiting as they know something is at least there and wont mind waiting on the seperate section s to load.

Also I wanted to know where you got the guestbook or message board setup. Can you put me in the right direction of where to get it.

Cheers Pixelmagikau

Guerilla Records

Re: Loading Bar

Hey there, your idea about the frame loading first then each section seprately is exactly what i want to achieve, but i'm not entirely sure how to do it... if you know, could you please help me out or point me in the direction of someone/where that i can find out from?

Thanks for the feedback on the site, i appreciate it... I am also on modem and therefore i know how long it takes to load... hence, why i'm looking for new idea's and answers in here.

As for the message board, it is supplied by software called vBulletin, if you search msn or something like that you should find them pretty easily... i think they're the same company that supply this board? It's quite expensive though... might be worth while trying to find someone who already owns a vBulletin board and asking them nicely if they could set up a forum for you... that's what i did!

Banned
    Wonder what I've been saying... Must of posted in French and not realized it!

Guerilla Records
    oldnewbie, there's no need to be sarcastic... i understand what you're saying, i'm just not sure how to do it?

How do i make it so you can still see the frame, i.e. the links at the top of the page etc... and have a loading bar for each section?

it's all one movie at the moment, i don't want to have to split it up into several different movies if i don't have to... and that's the only way i know to have a loading bar for each section, as i only know how to create a loading bar that show the loading of and loads the whole movie... i don't know how to create loading bars for a particular section of movie...

That's what i'm trying to say...!

Murph

Dude....that's what everyone has been trying to tell you.

Make a basic framework of you website.
    I can't be specific because your link isn't working right now.

For example....
    1) Create a flash file that has your navigation across the top with a large blank area at the bottom.
    2) Create a blank movie called 'blankmovie'
    3) Drag that movie into the blank area and put it into the upper left corner of the blank area.
    4) Give it an instace name of "data"
    5) Create seperate SWF files (the size of the blank area) for each of your sections. (ie. News, pictures, links, etc) Include a preloader scene in that file.
    6) Put this script or something like it as the actions for each of your buttons:
    on (release) {
    _root.data.loadMovie("news.swf");

When you click on your buttons....it will load the seperate SWF file (with their own preloaders) into the main file's 'blankmovie' section and show it where tyou gave it an instance name of "data".

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong...but that's the only way I know how to do this. There is no way as far as I know (and that's not saying alot) to load a movie and not load EVERYTHING already imbedded into that movie already. Listen to oldnewbie...he's knows his Shiznit!
    -NickC-

hey Corn,

both yourself and oldNEwbie are correct in your responses. Build the main frame of the site with the nav at the top then load everythuing else in using seperate swfs. Add the preloaders to the seperate swfs and this is also a great way of updating your site easily later on.

Pixelmagikau

Banned
    I'd "nuance" all of that and just say that using different external movies (sections) in a main movie interface, is the usual way in which most designers seem to be doing it nowadays.

That said, and as I had posted earlier in this thread, having the movie play when the interface part is loaded, while the rest continues to download in the background, is not really a problem. The problem is having the preloader re-appear in case the user makes a selection that hasn't finished loading yet, and again play the selection when it is, although continuing to download the rest if it's still not finished.

If I can find the time, I may test this out, but I don't really see the point other than proving it could possibly work!
    Loading external sections is a lot less complicated, even if it is.

BTW, a generic preloader can be included in the main movie interface, so the external movies wouldn't need to have their own.

Oldnewbie must be getting sick of this post.

One thing you said was interesting and I would love to know how it is done. Currently I use a seperate preloader for each swf that I load into the main interface.

I am usure of how to make a generic preloader like you suggested to save myself from creating individual ones.

Do you think you could explain whats involved or even if you had a working example.

Cheers Pixelmagikau

Banned
    I'll try to whip up a short example using a few pictures. It's basically an adapted version of the preloader I've proposed here on the forum for preloading movies that use components and/or export on the first frame stuff. It's still a 1 frame deal, but in a 2 frame preloader movie clip that's called upon when needed.

Hey, who knows, if I don't answer any more questions till then, it could be my 5000th post!

so when should i check back for a working example to download oldNewbie.

Just so i know when you might be posting it.

Cheers Pixelmagikau

Guerilla Records
    Ok, see now i get the idea... i just wasn't sure of how to make it work before... i'm not at a computer with flash at the moment, but i will try out your suggestions later on today!

Thanks for your help.

Murph

p.s. oldnewbie, could you pm me or something when you get that example knocked up with the generic preloader, i'd quite like to take a look at that myself.

Cheers.