A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: How do you know which frame your map scrolls to in a flash art based rpg?

How do you know which frame your map scrolls to in a flash art based rpg?

How do you know which frame your map scrolls to in a flash art based rpg? Okay, lets say I have a rpg which is made up of a "worlda" and a "worldb".

Worlda: contains 4 frames with each frame being a map. If you were to combine all 4 pieces then you'd have a complete map of the world.

Worldb: contains all the solid objects so you don't wonder around aimlessly like in a dessert. It also contains 4 frames to match up with each of the map pieces its assign with.

Now, lets say I want 4 more maps to explore in Worlda and so I make them along with adding 4 more frames to Worldb. My new world changes from:

• Frame 1- starting frame
    • Frame 2- beneath frame 1
    • Frame 3- to the right of frame 1
    • Frame 4- beneath frame 3 and and to the right of frame 2

to?

Right now I haven't a clue where the move my character to get to the new frames of 5,6,7, & 8.

Basically, I have the rpg done and just want to expand the levels. How do I do this? I can't set the size or x & y co-ordinates until I'm sure of where the next 4 frames appear.
    Last edited by Kayol; 03-03-2003 at 02:49 PM.

Well, I'm on this subject and since nobody has replied yet, I was wondering where I can find some great art based rpg tuts like that of Ed Mac's site. Is there any sites that teach you how to make a artbased rpg from movable characters to complete turnbased battle engines?

If not, that may just be my next project. A site that covers the following for both artbased and tile based rpgs:

• Moveable characters
    • Inventory + collecting items
    • hittest bountries - solid & non-solid map pieces
    • Shops - buy & sell
    • turnbased battle engines - example: Final Fantasy or Pokemon
    • Scroll maps

Infact who would be intrested in helping me gather more info on turnbased battle engines and Scrolling maps?

Ok well, your entire map shpeel was incomprehensible. So, what do you want to do? Load more maps? As well, it sucks that your just now thinking about that. Usually you want to plan for that and make your engine dynamic! Anyway, let us know what you want to do. And uh, Im almost *done* w/ a great tutorial on game engines, including art based (more aimed at an RPG).

-Tyler

I would suggest that once you have all the map pieces designed lay them out in a grid on a piece of paper - then label each grid (on the paper) with a row and column number ("1_1", "1_2",etc.).

When you have that done you can put the actual map pieces on any frame you want and instead of going along the timeline in a linear fashion (which you will never be able to do) you just tell it which frame to go to based on the frame label. For example, if the player is traveling west (left) out of map 5_3 (row5, col3) you tell you timeline to gotoAndStop("5_2").
    www.electricbluemonkey.com