A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [Resolved] personalization of .swf's

aquarist trainee

personalization of .swf's

I'm working on this project of four different animations. The person I'm doing them for want to be able to 1) put them together in an order he wants so that they will work seemlessly... not sure if that's possible without linking directly by the "loadmovie' command. And 2) personalize each one by putting names and other information directly into the .swf. Now i've just gotten into basic actionscripting, so i have now idea if these feets are atainable. If anyone could shed some light on the subject, i would greatly appreciate it!

B

1. You can load SWFs from HTML if you want to, you don't need to load it into another flash movie...you can create your navigation via html if you want...if you want to have the SWFs go one after the other without buttons clicks, I think you can do that with JavaScript, but not sure exactly how to do that...

2. You can't edit a SWF, you can only edit an FLA.

aquarist trainee
    Thanks for the advice. The person I'm doing this for seems to think that I can create some miraculous group of animation which can be 1) linked together in whatever order he wants just by putting them in the same folder, and 2) personalized for each audience he is giving it to by merely typing it in himself. I pretty much knew that none of this was going to work, but thought there might be a slim to none chance. Thanks again.

B

Geez Flash Fashion. Have all seven of your posts been about ******* SWF Quicker?

Banned
    Yes... But he forgot to mention that this is a PROFESSIONAL tool, this time!

I'm just wondering if he paid for it, or what other "professional" tool he used to hijack it?

Hey,

Why not hijack it? Quicker is 15-day trial version with no functional limitation.
    I am testing it and probably would buy one, which only costs you $49.99, a fraction of the cost of Macromedia Flash.

P.S. Have you read the review on the program written by Flexbeta Team http://www.flexbeta.net/main/article...showarticle=53?

(A repost)
    Flash Fashion, registered on May 10, posted 7 messages on the same day, and not one more since, all promoting the professional application...

GunPro, registered on May 20, again posts messages that promote the application (also a few seemingly unrelated ones).

It goes like this:
    Flash Fashion:
    'Hey,

Why not using that app? It can edit a swf file without fla file.'

GunPro:
    'Hi,

I've downloaded the app and tried it for a couple of days. It is amazing and can really edit any elements, text, url, actionscript...

Thanks Flash Fashion!'

You might say 2 happy users of the professional app, so what?

But look at the URLs they use! Why would anyone use a hypertracker URL as a link (unless they are trying to track the clicks generated)?

I do post to Flashkit, sometimes promoting our applications, when I think people will find it useful to solve their problem, but it's no ad campaing for me. I clearly sign my posts, everyone knows I'm from the vendor company and might be biased.

This is clearly an ad campaign, but not an ethical one at that I'd say.

Best regards,
    Burak KALAYCI, Manitu Group
    http://www.buraks.com
    http://www.manitugroup.com

Burakk
    This is clearly an ad campaign, but not an ethical one at that I'd say.
    Well said mate. "*******" should never be a option its for people who rip other peoples hard work. Thats my opinion.

Regards Barry_UK

Banned
    But in that sense, is ASV "more ethical"?

You see, my point is about the 'ad campaign'.

I could have posted with a false or secret identity too.

I didn't post this because they are our competitors etc.; it's because I noticed the situation by being subscribed to some related threads and this irritated me as a Flash user and also as a vendor.

As a vendor, how can I compete with these kind of ads? I can't and I won't. (I haven't replied to every thread Flash Fashion or GunPro posted; not on May 10th, not today. I've posted the above post to 2 threads which I found applicable, and stated (repost) on this one, with no intention of spamming).

As a Flash and FlashKit user, should I be searching for secret motives within every post? Are these kind of ads what's FlashKit for?

Barry_UK might be unaware that ASV has similar uses (which we don't approve). And probably his opinion about ASV is no different than about *******. (Sorry mate, maybe I should've been more clear).

Lately we had a policy change about supporting obfuscated SWF files. (You can read more about this at http://www.buraks.com/asv and a recent discussion about protecting AS is available at http://www.quasimondo.com/archives/000377.php ).

In any case, here's my claim, with my name under it: People behind ASV have ethical values; I don't know if you'd consider this a difference.

Best regards,
    http://www.asvguy.com

Banned
    I'm not questioning your ethics... And have appreciated "some" of your answers in some threads... But the fact remains, eventhough done more subtely, that you are somewhat often promoting your own product... The *********** guy often did it, before I (as you've just done) questioned the fact that he was promoting his products.
    10 or so posts (for the moment) ain't that much considering, and maybe Flashfashion did it in all good faith, just to help out. Let's see!

Of course I try to promote our products, but not subtely and only when appropriate. Nevertheless, yes, I think you have a point there. But should I not post at all to FlashKit? I've been using Flash since May 98, long before we had ASV. I'm both a Flash, FlashKit user and a vendor of commercial products. I'm most probably biased when it comes to our products, and I assume I make this known when I sign my posts clearly or mention that 'our product may help'.

As for Flash Fashion and GunPro, I wouldn't have posted if I had a doubt. They both use hypertracker.com URLs for the links, that's the main evidence. And while 10 posts may not be much, if the tracker tells them that 'FlashKit ads' are working, assuming they'll come back for more is only logical.

I can't visit FlashKit, and contribute, as much as I like, because I'm busy with something else most of the time. Maybe I should have left this 'questioning' to you.

Best regards,

If the software is going to help someone, (someone who is not using it to rip off the work of others) then I see no problem with offering (promoting) it here in FK.

My sister-in-law had her laptop stolen, she lost EVERYTHING! Including all (which were many) of her FLAs. She had the SWFs on her companies server, but needed to make changes. She had to do each one over from scratch. Had she known about this software, it would have helped her emensly. Not everyone is a thief.

In my case, I get clients who provide me with SWFs. When I get them, I find that they need minor editing, or just need to get the height & width b/c the HTML code was not provided. This ******* Quicker program is going to save me a lot of aggravation.

And I do NOT steal other people's work.

Well, that's my 2 cents...

Have a nice day.

But don't you think these promotion posts should be clearly labeled (that is signed by the real poster)?

It's kind of like ads in mags that are designed to look like an article (but they do have 'this is an ad' written in small print someplace), when some company posts promotion without identifying themselves. And then posting replies to their own posts, as if another user...

I find this absolutely wrong, not ethical at all, whatever the software or the promoted product is.

and there goes my 2 cents...

Best regards,
    http://www.asvguy.com
    http://www.manitugroup.com

Well yes. I do agree that being dishonest about your intentions is wrong. But I see no reason why a vendor should have to hide the fact that they are promoting their product. Especially if it has a free trial. If the software doesn't work out for that person, then they just don't buy it. But if it does, then everyone is happy.

So I say, "Vendors...don't hide you identity! Just make sure that your product has a free trial period."

Thank you.

I see everyone's point...I have to admit that I get a little suspicious when I see the "Hey, I've got the answer to your prayers..and I do take all major credit cards." routine. I do admit some might think I work for a publisher because I've recommended a certain title to a lot of beginners. I did this because I really feel the book benefitted me and sometimes, as I think back, it might have been a little evangelical for some. I guess this is a fine line the mods will always have to walk. At least, on this board, the average poster seems a lot more savvy than the average consumer, so they probably don't need too much protecting...but when does advice become just plain old spam? Hmmm, a question for the ages.