A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you like this site?

How do you like this site?

Hello, all. I will not say anything about what I think of this site, since I designed it. I learned that lesson the hard way before.

http://www.angelfire.com/mn3/falconsites

Do you like it? What should I change? I'm also looking for some advice on making an intro for the site, if you would be so kind.

I'd also like to thank everyone who bettered my posting manners.

Thanks a bunch!
    Rick
    Code:
      hobby = webDesign; waitYears(3);
      job = webDesign; this.love(job);

IMHO, I think you should put more content. Tell your viewers something about you, and why they should pay for your services, and what kind of services you offer. Right now, it just says your rate. rate for what? maintennance for what? and invest more time in doing your site, because this is gonna be the selling point of your business since you are designing web pages. It should look good and it should reflect your knowledge in web designing. and if it's gonna be this simple, why use flash?

if im gonna rate your site from 1-10(10-highest) I would rate it as a 2. but you're on the right track.

I had something about myself before, I just thought it was kinda corny, so I took it off. I'll put it back on and post a reply. The reason I'm using Flash is for the fading effects and the letter movement. Otherwise, I would most definately use HTML.

Also - in case some of my viewers don't have BankGothic MD Bt (the squarish-looking font) should I break up the text so it doesn't require the font?

Rick
    Code:

Hi Rick,
    I had a peek at this site and a quick couple of things...

1) The popup ad (which is Angelfire, I know) went right over the top of you main heading, so I didn't get to see the Flash movement, until I did it for a 2nd time and moved the popup.

2) I adjusted my screen to 800x600 and the bottom of the Flash movie was chopped off.

Regards,
    Cerious.

The angelfire ad will be remoeved with when I get an actual domain.

Did you say it gets chopped off when you convert to 800x600? Mine doesn't. See screenshot below. Could you post a screenshot of what you see?

Thanks for the feedback!
    Rick
    Code:

You need to reformat the layout. Everything is spread out looks unproffesional. Keep it up though, the site does have some potential.

pacdesco

I put the "about me" stuff back in. Check it out:

http://www.angelfire.com/mn3/falconsites

Like I said, I think it's pretty corny - lemme know what you think. I also reformatted the layout a little as you suggested, pacdesco, but I don't really know what to do with it. Any suggestions?

Rick
    Last edited by Fat_N_Furry; 03-06-2003 at 01:40 PM.
    Code:

Originally posted by Cerious
    ...The popup ad (which is Angelfire, I know) went right over the top of you main heading, so I didn't get to see the Flash movement, until I did it for a 2nd time and moved the popup...
    I forgot to mention this earlier - if you view it in Netscape, you can suppress popups. Just go to Edit >> Preferences >> Privacy and Security >> Popup Window Controls and select the "suppress popups" option there go all your slap-in-the-face windows.

Rick
    Code:

Larry Boy! Power Pickle larry2zonka's Avatar
    - not happy.

Oh my..
    i take the iniatitive to reply to this because once again i find it insulting to charge people for sites of such low quality. This sample promoting your work is an example of what im talking about including both samples.
    But then I dont know your age and in the US all children play with the net
    Do you handball?
    http://www.stellios.co.uk/handball.htm

Larry Boy! Power Pickle larry2zonka's Avatar
    Really? Outside the US, kids aren't allowed play on the web?

he he, ofcourse. But others dont share the level of confidence that Americans have and prefer to build up before charging. No harm done..
    Do you handball?
    http://www.stellios.co.uk/handball.htm

I'm 15 years old. I'm a total newbie designer. Got any pointers?

Originally posted by larry2zonka
    - not happy.
    About what?
    Last edited by Fat_N_Furry; 03-07-2003 at 01:35 AM.
    Code:

I guarantee you will not get any customers off the web with this site. Any customers you get will be someone you know. Why don't have some fun with this site and make it a personal site for learning about flash. Although you may think you know alot about flash, wait till your like 17, 18 I'd say before you start posting prices. Although you are above average in the technical know-how area, you still have much to learn in design.

I'm not really using this site to advertise just yet. The reason I put it up on a free site (no domain), and posted it on this forum asking for your opinions is because I know that I'm a very poor designer, and if I were to make it public knowledge, I'd just be walking around with a dunce hat on.

The prices are just for example so I have something to put on the site. I'm really looking for some advice here, if you would give it. Basically, you tell me to jump, and I'll ask how high.

Thanks,
    Rick
    Code:

Hi Rick....
    1st didnt find your work exceptionally high (Quoting from your website) .... But here is one obvious advice.
    I think you should have more content on your website and good navigation bar and decent background colours... (Not blue, Red Yellow). And think about telling about your services before you post the rates.

Cheers
    MY OTHER HAIR doo IS AN AFRO

I would add a main navigation bar for starts. Don't crowd your text to the edges of photos and such. There is too much info at once.

Alright, will do. I was also thinking of adding some examples on the site of what I'm capable of. Is that what a portfolio is? I've seen the word many times, but I never really understood what it meant.
    Code:

I is r gooded at stuff
    It seems that anyone who can slap an image and text on a site has their own web design business. I would recommend learning alot more before you just try to start doing web design. Go read some tutorials on asp, or php because if you design a site for someone most want to be able to change their site without having someone do it for them.
    Good luck

Originally posted by Pegleg187
    ...Go read some tutorials on asp, or php because if you design a site for someone most want to be able to change their site without having someone do it for them.
    Good luck
    Yes, I've already encountered a client that wanted to do that to some extent. That was quite the fun project, and I even got $100 out of it (getting 200 more later). From that experience, I learned PHP and would have learned MySQL, but the website provider's MySQL service is quite messed up, so for now I'm having PHP manipulate text files to function in a somewhat similar way to a database until I get him to switch website providers. The site isn't public knowledge just yet.

Thanks for the advice!
    Rick
    Code: