dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: splashpage

splashpage

Ok,I designed a splashpage size 770x520.This size I will also use for the main nanvigation that whill be like a popup.This way the visitor whill have total vision on the layout and be focused on the total content.Anyway the problem I'm dealing with is the following.The site should fit as a presentation cdrom aswell.It whill be seen on 21 inch screens.How do you set up the layout,what you think are rules involved in this matter.Because the splashpage is 770x520 and the total view on a 21inch screen is 1200x1600.How do set things up for web if the viewer has a 21 inch screen.I really could use some vision on how you set up a splashpage thinking different screen resolutions.

Big thanks in advance,

Modulater

i would look at the FS command (full screen) the stage (main flash bit) will run quite happily at the same size 770... with a FS plain background framing it

u wont get an exact resolution (unless its only running on 1 machine)
    i have 2 x 21 inch monitors one running 1240.... and the other running 1600... i also swap sizes so i can see what x site looks like running at 800 x 600

unless the client insists its 1200 then just cheat and do FS command, explain its the safest way for all viewers

bp

I could do a fullscreen for presentation,do a allowscale because the splash is totally vector>you know content whill still be nice.But i have jpg in the presentation so with an allowscale they look blurred,pixelated.So I should use fullscreen with a patern or bkcolor.Problem is a splash 770x520 looks pretty small on 21 inch.Can you comment this.
    Anyway know you talked about presentation not web.How do you set up a splash for web>centered centered,left centerd,...
    Still thinking 21 inch.Maybe you should have a look at my splash to get the picture how To help me out,give advice.
    If you go in this forum section to page to>thread opinions on design layout you'll find my splash.jpg(it's a few comments ferder).
    Hope you can give me more comments.

Grtzz

unless your site is all vector though you're going to distort any bitmap images your file has if you full screen it.

Also just because it's a 21" moniter has nothing to do with the resolution it will be viewed at, I know people with 21" moniters with their resolutions at 800 x 600, also it could go up to over 2000 x whatever with the right moniter and card, but doubtful.

If you are using all vectors have it go full screen if you are using bitmap images, keep your file the same size and have the background just get bigger or smaller around it.

there are numerous examples of this on the web, but I've got 2 for you really quick that I have done.

all vector site that stretches to the size of your screen
    http://www.emtgroup.com

fixed size where the flash file stays the same size regardless of resolution
    http://www.visiontilt.com
    Sometimes....when it comes over me..... And I totally lose control......... I Like it.

www.visiontilt.com
    www.glamourdog.com
    www.caseyandcynthia.com

casey is right with respect to the vector, bitmap distortion

to stop the distortion

the code is someting like fullscreen = true
    allow scale = false (bitmap version)

allow scale = true (vector version)

bp

Thanks for the answers.Still a few questions dow.If people who have a 21 inch screen set there monitor to 800x600 is the content bigger,smaller how do they view it on lower resolution?
    Is there a script that detects the resolution size and changes it>I'm talking for use as a presentation cdrom.Sorry for all the questions it's because my first site I made was a minimalistic aproach.Size was like 300x400.When I saw it on a 21 inch screen it was just like a dot.You know when you looked at it you where more fixated at the background then the contant itself,no that it was a bad design:-)

Originally posted by modulater
    If people who have a 21 inch screen set there monitor to 800x600 is the content bigger,smaller how do they view it on lower resolution?
    try it! are u on a PC (i guess so) right mouse click on the desktop > Properties > settings

800 x 600 will look v big (eg big text etc)

the answer is the above post

here it is again

allow scale = true (vector version)

this will fill the screen no matter what size with the full website (CD Rom)

try it....

bp

I'm actually on a mac,15 inch screen.I used this methods allowscale,fullscreen earlier.
    I only have no vision on how it whill be on bigger screens to what I just heared>some people set there screen to different resolution>like 21inch screen is resol.1600x1200wright, but if they set there screen to 800x600.I want to know more how this effects viewing content.Using fscommand>allowscale flase,fullscreen true.

So I guess about this changing size it would be like>choosing a higer resolution makes the content smaller,lower resolution bigger ,wright?

are there a lot of people who use other resolution then the resolution they actual have?If there resolution is set wrong >is there a code to change there resolution>like 21 inch screen detects 800x600 and changes it to 1600x1200.

Didn't know I could ask that much on resolution,I'm kinda flipping out I guess :-)

i would steer away from altering ppl computer set ups

i personally would be v v annoyed if u altered mine

if its a job for a client get them to give u a brief, if not design to your audience, mb there is a sniffer that can tell if u have 800 x 600

eg sniff....what res is comp using? if 1024 x 768 play 1024.swf

its alot of work making loads of diff sized fla's

if it was me run 800 x 600 fs no allow scale

bp

this is how to make your flash movie 100% of the browser window but without scaling your movie, a lot of sites are doing it now.

http://moock.org/asdg/technotes/relayout/

I would say that you should never mess with your user's settings, it's just so wrong. I wouldn't even maximise the browser window, never mind fullscreen, it's just annoying as hell.

big thanks for all the imput black phoenix.So i'll just go for a fullscreen true,alawscale false.I'll try to make a patern that fit's the design of my content_layout.Like the patern is a part of the layout.Have to think about that.Anyway i think I'll know about everything on resolution now .Thanks again,big thanks

Originally posted by aversion
    this is how to make your flash movie 100% of the browser window but without scaling your movie, a lot of sites are doing it now.

http://moock.org/asdg/technotes/relayout/

I would say that you should never mess with your user's settings, it's just so wrong. I wouldn't even maximise the browser window, never mind fullscreen, it's just annoying as hell.
    i dont mind the fs when dealing with a CD Rom (eg presentations), but the full size websites do annoy me, along with no sound off buttons....shall i continue (better not)

bp

Originally posted by modulater
    big thanks for all the imput black phoenix.So i'll just go for a fullscreen true,alawscale false.I'll try to make a patern that fit's the design of my content_layout.Like the patern is a part of the layout.Have to think about that.Anyway i think I'll know about everything on resolution now .Thanks again,big thanks
    np i hope u get it sorted out ok

bp

* i have a 21 inches monitor
    *me too
    *me too, a 21 inches monitor !

Seriously, besides Gamers and Designers how many have monitors of 21 inches with resolution like 1600*1200 or something...

It's all about audience, i mean, good for you if your splashpage looks awesome on a 21 inches, etc. but hey, what if 98% of your visitors have 15' monitors at 800*600...

by knowing who your audience is, you are not only able to design a site that will be ok for them, but you will also be able to "control your audience" eg : im selling products for Mac users ONLY, so would i care if PC users cant enter my site... NO ! in fact, i would not want PC users to waste my time by going on my site, using Bandwidth and all... you know...

Originally posted by DontLikeFlash
    "control your audience" eg : im selling products for Mac users ONLY, so would i care if PC users cant enter my site... NO ! in fact, i would not want PC users to waste my time by going on my site, using Bandwidth and all... you know...
    i own 3 macs ( v good ones as well ) but i use a slick PC to connect to the net 24 - 7, u just lost my money.... oops!

spend a bit of time and design x platform, its not exactly difficult

i think u should think more "cater for your audience"

in the past all the md's i have worked for run pc's the designer all run macs, who buys the computers ??

bp