A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Here are some books on what to charge...

seeking wisdom

What to charge...

Hi folks... some general advice on what to charge (no I'm not attaching this to a specific post because there are SO many posts on this subject):

Though it's illegal for freelancers to discuss what they charge (it's known as price-fixing), there are resources that discuss general guidelines. One in particular that I've found valuable is a book put out by the Graphic Artists Guild, called 'Pricing and Ethical Guidelines'. This books deals with all kinds of design/art, but there is also a multimedia/web section, with both freelance hourly and per project acceptable charges. I'd say a trip to your local bookstore for a quick in-store peruse is in order.

Hope this helps someone out there!
    Make your life a work of art and your art a work of life

The Minister of No Crap

Thanks for the tip, amphibianZ. Website pricing is actually one of the most asked question in the Boardroom.

Anyone else heard of this book? Is it good?

Anyone know of any other similar books?

Scott

*Banned by GMF
    hey you burn the church,

why you closing my thread? ... I have seen people sabotage my posting like commenting about something jerk ... and they simply closed it out ... I need people comment on my job site http://www.jobworld.tk so thats why i open the thread it again so people can comment it .... if i spam I will spam the whole fack out of flashkit ****ing cross posting ... I'm posting only one message ,,, its mean I open it back not to spam it ... If you think I'm competing with Internet Job Site or so call Lame site Dice ... tell me the truth so I can stop posting and understand the situation ... what a dictator moderator ... you must be a ****ing jews damn it

adfunk, you leave me no option but a ban. come back when you grow up.
    Living the dream

seeking wisdom
    Hi Scott,

This book is excellent, and at book stores, which makes it accessible. There are other organizations that have similar info/publications, but I think you need to become a member to get full access to all salary/rate recommendations and other resources.

Here's a good link, though, through AIGA (American Institute of Graphic Arts) which discusses *salaries/wages* for graphics and web professionals:
    2002: http://www.aiga.com/content.cfm?Alias=2000salarysurvey
    2001: http://www.aiga.com/content.cfm?cont...larysurvey2001
    (for 2001, there is much more info to non-members, note links on right, esp. 'freelancers')

This is cool, too: a sample contract upon which designers can base their own contracts (link in right sidebar):
    http://www.aiga.com/content.cfm?CategoryID=111

Of course joining either Graphic Artists Guild or AIGA is cool, but it's nice to see some of their research/resources are freely available.

And a side note: I would like to say, adfunk, that your post does not belong either on this thread or on this board. Ethnic slurs and profane outlooks in general are not only hurtful, but have nothing to do with Flash or business.

-Sarah
    Last edited by amphibianZ; 03-12-2003 at 10:24 PM.
    Make your life a work of art and your art a work of life

The Minister of No Crap

Originally posted by RazoRmedia
    adfunk, you leave me no option but a ban. come back when you grow up.
    Thanks, Razor.