A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 advanced

2 advanced

Yeah - I know - blah-dee-blah - 2 advanced this, 2 advanced that... but does anyone remember that cool site they did called Lasik Plus? They have a cruddy new site now, but the old one grooved.
    Peace, love and good happiness stuff.

Señor member
    can't say as I remember to be honest. I like 2A's work but I admit I don't follow their portfolio that closely.
    Company, Meet Creative
    ------------------------
    welcomebrand

Running Plodding & Limping SpockBert's Avatar

Re: 2 advanced

Originally posted by gizmodyer
    Yeah - I know - blah-dee-blah - 2 advanced this, 2 advanced that... but does anyone remember that cool site they did called Lasik Plus? They have a cruddy new site now, but the old one grooved.
    I remember that was brilliant. Liked it so much i kept a little offline version so i could watch the transitions again and again and try and learn from it.

Its strange when firms take a great piece of Flash and dump it in favour of some crap old html. One of fave bits of Flash was an old Flash 3 site for Hoover.co.uk where you could take an interactive look at your carpet. Zooming in and out looking at the little dust mites etc, it was very slick and cool, but for some reason they got rid of it.

silly buggers!

pah!

These people suck.

Do you have the offline version still? Could you zip it up and send it to me perchance? I'd love to see it again.

Cheers!

D.

iamdyer@hotmail.com

i remember the name lasik plus but i cant remember what the site looked like... hmm

I don't have the site, but it sounded something like this:

"Phssshhheewwooo - plop... wik wik....

Doopbomb Doopbomb Doopbomb Doopbomb Doopdoop Doopbomb Doopbomb Doopbomb Doopbomb Doopdoop Doopbomb Doopbomb Doopbomb Doopdoop Doopbomb Doopbomb... swissshhh.".

If that helps.

hah... dont remember the noises.. what did it look like?

Try the internet archive...

liquid rope

Their ideas are unoriginal, their technique is second rate, and their style is played -- so played.

You can break the navigation on their site(s).
    You can see elements in their work stolen from other artists.
    You can hear them speak of themselves with a pompous air.

More like the liquid rope that follows a Taco Bell outing, 2Advanced is simply the diarrhea of the web community - try as they may, they consistently produce second rate shi-te.

i remember the lasik site...but i've always liked this one of theirs the best...

http://www.realtybid.com/

of course, it's gone now too - wtf?

Ah, these boys is all swelled up. So this was earlier...getting set to trade. Then, woooaaah differences.
    Blog ¤ Photos ¤ Book

Lasik Plus looked EXACTLY like this:

http://www.blatext.com/lasik_plus.gif

I haven't got time to do Realtybid because I have to go out now, but I'll do it when I get back (again from memory).

Oh - and Honest Abe... dry them tears boy - it's embarrasing.

so nice of someone to register just to contribute something so puerile to our little community.

no matter what your provenance, which I suspect is actually quite impressive, your contribution is pointless, unconstructive and unwelcome. If you want to make an intelligent comment, maybe back up some of your allegations of plagerism, etc with facts then go for it. If you just want to behave like a spoilt kindergarten kid with a chip on his shoulder then go away.

cheers

Originally posted by gizmodyer
    I don't have the site, but it sounded something like this:

"Phssshhheewwooo - plop... wik wik....

Doopbomb Doopbomb Doopbomb Doopbomb Doopdoop Doopbomb Doopbomb Doopbomb Doopbomb Doopdoop Doopbomb Doopbomb Doopbomb Doopdoop Doopbomb Doopbomb... swissshhh.".

If that helps.
    Ha ha ha

Thats pretty much spot on! lots of little bleeps and whooshes.

My only critism of the site was that there was so much stuff moving and bleeping that there wasn't too much room for any text! but it sure did look nice.

Oh by the way, I've just mailed those lasik plus files to you, 380k in total, hope i haven't clogged up your mailbox.
    Last edited by SpockBert; 03-11-2003 at 04:50 PM.

Re: liquid rope

Originally posted by Honest Abe
    Their ideas are unoriginal, their technique is second rate, and their style is played -- so played.

You can break the navigation on their site(s).
    You can see elements in their work stolen from other artists.
    You can hear them speak of themselves with a pompous air.

More like the liquid rope that follows a Taco Bell outing, 2Advanced is simply the diarrhea of the web community - try as they may, they consistently produce second rate shi-te.
    Oh dear!

Dunno where to start with this one...er...Unoriginal? I first found that lasilk plus site from the Flashmove forum a few years back, way before everyone started copying that style.

Technique second rate?

geez...wish my technique was that 2nd rate

The lasik site was phenominal when it came out. It was definatley a shame when they redesigned it. I honestly think they must have had one of their "friends" or realatives redo the site for them, if it looks the same way it did a few months ago, It was absolutley horrible, I can't imagine they paid any qualified designer to create their post 2Advanced version.

I have to say, I personally think one of the most sickening things in the web design community is the mass groups of people that jump on the "I hate 2Advanced" bandwagon, meanwhile say what you might, Eric Jordan is immensly successful and makes his clients happy. Those are facts, If you want to get subjective about his designs and websites stay in art school where subjective is all that matters, not the bottom line, cuz I suspect that is where most 2Advanced haters are coming from anyway.

If you've made it in this industry on any level you have to at least respect what Eric Jordan has accomplished.
    Sometimes....when it comes over me..... And I totally lose control......... I Like it.

www.visiontilt.com
    www.glamourdog.com
    www.caseyandcynthia.com

i agree to the extent that you have to respect Jordan's accomplishments on a marketing and business level. but im not sure what real level of respect he has in the design level. im not trying to make an attack, im saying this from objective observation.

i don't consider myself much of a design expert so maybe this doesn't mean much. but, i have noticed that the dislike of 2a work, at least amongst the design community with which i have worked is more significant than a bandwagon. it's actually more like an inside joke than real dislike or hating from what i have observed.

but, that said, you're right that Jordan is immensely successful and makes his clients happy. more power to him!

im not hating or anything, it's just funny to hear the designers i work with make fun of 2a all day and then jump on flashkit and see so much praise...

I am not necessarily a 'Jordanophile'(enunciate thus: jor-DAN-oh-phile), though I am kind of blown away by the technical skills of him and his crew, but I find the 2advanced haters an interesting bunch of people.

Such vitriol is rarely present without any reason. A wise man once said to me '...a fanatic overcompensates for a secret doubt' and you can apply this saying sooo well to those folk that preport to hate their work.

If you read between the lines when they compose their eloquent slurs, subtle though it is, you can catch a little thread of jealousy, or desire to attain that level of skill (2A are extremely skilled - that is beyond reasonable question).

I have read many of these slurs, and I have yet to read one that I didn't think was camouflaged awe.

In summary, and this applies to all haters of blatantly obvious talent:

YOU LOVE THEM.

Yes, you do.

Yes yes you do.

Disagree with me. I double dare you.

D.

i don't know. that really hasn't been my observation. i personally don't hate 2a's designs. they seem fine. i really haven't checked them out all that much (i've got my nose buried in code too much to surf ). but the crowd that i am referring to is extremely talented and also established in the design world. it's definitely not jealousy.

...but you love them.