A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Map Transitioning plz check...

Map Transitioning plz check...

Hi, I just finished writing the code for changing maps for this little project I have been working on. I tried to imitate the transitioning effects for the zelda games. Plz let me know if it looks clean and precise. I know there is a bit of a problem concerning the placement of the character when traveling up and down. It can be fixed through messing around with my limit restraints. Thnx in advance. I appreciate it.

http://www.geocities.com/geoguy86

yeah

Yeah its real good. Im sort of new at making games could you post that code that you used for map transitioning, when i move i ahve the whole map move the opposite way of my character. How do you get it so that on the release the animation stops, ym animations keeps playing on key release.
    Matt

Hi, thnx for replying!

um lol, the method I used for my map building is a little trickier than it looks. First of all it's not all one map but rather 9. Each time you move out the limits the movie checks to see what map should be created next. For example let's say we move right. The new map is created in a new emptyMC and placed to the right of the map we are now leaving. Then we move everything over to the left to their respective spots. When this transitioning is complete we removie the old emptyMC containing the old map and we're back to moving around.

As for the code, I'm a little hesitant to post it since it is very convoluted and is strewn out over many movie clips. However if you would like to take a peak, I'll try to add some comments for you and sent you the .fla, .swf, and external .txt file (contains map data)

As for your character moving when it's not supposed to, create a variable that is false when you can't move and true when you are able to.

I placed this script in an emptyMC inside my main character movie:

onClipEvent(load){
    walk = true;
    }
    onClipEvent(enterFrame){
    if (walk){
    _parent.walk();
    }
    }

This simply states that the function walk [it controls how the character moves, etc.] will only be performed when the variable walk is true. I placed code that turned this variable to false when the map switching began, and returned it to true when the transitioning was complete.

I hope this helped. Let me know if you want the .fla and stuff. I'll be glad to direct you to some helpful online tutorials too.
    Last edited by geoguy; 03-12-2003 at 12:54 AM.

check out the zelda opensource in my footer, it has this effect. code is very clean and understandable

?

So you just made a square, put nine boxes into it?
    Im sort of new at making game sin flash, how do i make a variable or a function, sorry for bothering you.
    Matt

dont let the man drag you down skate_boarder_43's Avatar
    It looks like you have some fields for planting. Is this gonna be a harvest moon game?

PWFilms
    Looks pretty good. It moves much faster than a regular scrolling game. Niceness.