A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: taigkhris.com - new 2a site for taig khris...

it always snows in Albany, but never in Austin :)
    well the real idea is to design for the user through the client to make money to pay yourself, to save up and get a nice place and meet a nice girl and make babies. so ultimately designing leads to babies...right Miles?

Originally posted by sixtailer
    well the real idea is to design for the user through the client to make money to pay yourself, to save up and get a nice place and meet a nice girl and make babies. so ultimately designing leads to babies...right Miles?
    no way! The ultimate aim of designing is a plasma tv

lol I guess....I have my 15 foot projection tv/monitor...I like it better even though it cant touch the res and brightness of a plasma...nothing touches HALO or METROID when their guns are bigger than you are!!!

Originally posted by aversion
    no way! The ultimate aim of designing is a plasma tv
    Amen to that. I swear when I get mine, I'm switching careers.

to what pocket pool???

Well this is too "Sci-Fi" for a skateboarder, the target for this site is "Skaters" i guess ? and the average skater will even close the pop up , or even begin to panic on the loading hehe ... not many of the skates are computer wiz maybe i am wrong

FK's 2A 'Rip' Agent

Originally posted by optical
    I appreciate your comment Tony, thank you. However I don't see the Taig site as "going out on the edge a bit". It's nothing more technical than you have done with the 2A site(if at all) apart from a photoshop (or similar product) produced background and I can't see the backend being overly complex neither(XML for the shedule section if any) - at the end of the day it's just a brochure site with extremely cool graphics - it's hardly going out on the edge. Having said that at least it's fitting to the subject matter - why have Realtybid changed the front end and Pittsburgh Penguins sized down the interface? Could it be 2a have learnt lessons in designing for clients instead of themselves or designers?
    I don't believe the idea of "going out on the edge a bit" implies an absolute requirement for technical complexity. If that was the case, I would direct you back to BacardiDJ.com site we just finished. Rather here, the U/I is non-standard, motion is much more frequent/prevalent, filesize limitations were increased, experimentation with effects was routine, etc. XML and PHP were used for the schedule and various content admin tools on the back-end.

If you make an assumption that all sites should remain untouched following launch, then your point regarding Penguins and Realtybid is appropriate. However, keep in mind, that our process is methodical and honed to the extent that all major decisions made on projects are done with client approval. Therefore, I/F changes to Penguins, after the fact and before are simply an evolution that have occurred; paid for by the client and all. Similarly, with Realtybid, but their changes have a much longer story I hear.

My example of "going out on the edge a bit" is more applicably directed to a case such as Taig Khris whereby we had a great deal more creative freedom then is typified by client projects. Either way, I believe it is safe to say; even Taig's site will undergo periodic and routine changes as we continue to receive and process visitor feedback.

Nothing's perfect, and I'll be the first to admit that. (Except Miles' shirt selection)
    :: Tony Novak ::
    2Advanced Studios

http://www.2advanced.com/

Passionate about 2A pixelranger's Avatar
    Originally posted by optical
    i think you missed my point sixtailer ... I was saying that Realtybid and Pittsburgh are examples of 2a getting it wrong - they designed with designers in mind, not the client or target audience. 2a have got big shoulders, they can take it.
    Optical. No offense here. But how long have you been in the business and how many client engagements have you been in?

The reason I ask this is because sometimes, you can advise, explain and yell at a client till you are purple in the face. But after the client asks for it the 10th time, you GIVE it to them no matter how much you think/know something might not be right for them and no matter how many times you've told them it is wrong. In the end, the client is always right.

In the case of the Penguins, and Realtybid (2 clients which I am pretty confident that you know nothing about, or what they came to 2A for) That was exactly the case. Was it our idea to come up with a completely flashed out techy site to auction houses online? Seriously? I think you are smart enough to see where I am going with this one....No it wasn't our idea. That was the agenda of the client you saw. Did we do our best to fulfill the clients needs and dreams? You bet your bottom dollar.

Like I said, You can tell a client something till your head explodes, but when they have something stuck in their mind, sometimes there isn't a whole lot you can do about it. In the case of the Penguins, we were glad they finally listened to reason and had me downsize the header. For you to say that we design for designers in mind. Well. I'm sorry to say that is from my perspective a pretty ignorant comment and one that stems from a lack of dealing with clients face to face as I do every day.

You seem to think that at 2A we march to the beat of our own drummer. I for one take offense to that. I have been doing this for years now. I have taken classes on usability. I have sat in seminars held by Forrester Research. I have won awards for Usability from Forrester and I like to think I always keep the end user in mind for any site that I personally design.

I always make the arguement that when dealing with a client, you give advice where you can, but for the most part you listen to what they have to say with both ears. Why? Because they should be the experts of their products. No single designer should dictate a website or a corporate brand by himself. It is ridiculous to assume that I could tell Mazda what is the best way for them to sell cars. So when I did their old website what did I do? I Listened to every word they had to say because bottom line they are the experts. And if their ideas and visions fail? Then their company is doomed to bumps in the road no matter what I say.

Hey Shiro.. Do you Inline? Just something to think about here, but Taig Khris is the client. He LOVES Techy, he LOVES 2A. This site is HIS vision. So for you to say its too techy for a Skater...AHAHHA dude that is just comedy to me.

My apologies to Lady Bring who will see this as some sort of oppression. I'm also a football coach so sometimes I gotta speak my mind.

Shane
    www.pixelranger.com
    Last edited by pixelranger; 03-13-2003 at 11:52 PM.

Originally posted by Johnny Shiro
    not many of the skates are computer wiz maybe i am wrong
    maybe they're not designers but bet your ass that the skaters i know do two things, skate and play video games!
    Last edited by aversion; 03-13-2003 at 10:02 PM.

some insider info :)

This is something I picked up from Andru at another forum ->

Thanks Guys!! It had to be made in 5 days, thats why it seems repititive, otherwise I would of optimized the hell out of it and included alot of unique transitions. Unfortunately deadlines are reality, but I'm happy how it turned out. Although 90% of it could of been done way better, my initial ideas were communicated.

I never really intended to make this experience like the other 2A websites that preceded it, however I was trying to establish a unique reflection of what websites in the future could be like. I believe the intent of the internet in its infancy was purely for data retrieval, then later evolved into entertainment as broadband became commonplace. Since then it has been haunted by the echos of practicality which is commonly condescended by critics when websites such of this nature come into existence. I ask the "design community" not to view this site in retrospect to the criteria of a "proper" website, but enjoy it as an experiment of fun...

- the phoenix
    2Advanced Studios

wow gone for 2 days and look what i miss. Nice site! I'm usually not a big fan of 2A work (no offense!) but this site is designed very well. I think it fits the client/genre perfectly. I'd definitely focus on a more hip market (last 2 sites have been great)... an auction house 2A site that's just funny. Great job guys!

dyl

Big gulps huh?

Re: some insider info :)

Originally posted by KevinD
    This is something I picked up from Andru at another forum ->

he dropped this address in a post

http://www.burnaxis.com/autogo.html

cool stuff...

Re: Re: some insider info :)

Originally posted by miyagiofflash
    he dropped this address in a post

http://www.burnaxis.com/autogo.html

cool stuff...
    cool so far, edevstudios is incorporated with this it looks like.
    "Be quiet, Brain, or I'll stab you with a Q-tip" -Homer
    "Whos your daddy and what does he do?" -Arnold S.

yeah we've been barking about this flash colaborative for a while...now thats hes done withtaig khris we'll have more time to get back to it..

Re: Re: Re: some insider info :)

Originally posted by kony2003
    edevstudios is incorporated with this it looks like.
    Thanks for stating the Obvious you Dip ****

w w w . t h e o r y 7 . c o m nevil's Avatar
    Originally posted by aversion
    isn't the idea to design for the user? You have to sell it to the client though...
    good point AV.

Originally posted by tpnovak
    I don't believe the idea of "going out on the edge a bit" implies an absolute requirement for technical complexity. If that was the case, I would direct you back to BacardiDJ.com site we just finished. Rather here, the U/I is non-standard, motion is much more frequent/prevalent, filesize limitations were increased, experimentation with effects was routine, etc. XML and PHP were used for the schedule and various content admin tools on the back-end.

If you make an assumption that all sites should remain untouched following launch, then your point regarding Penguins and Realtybid is appropriate. However, keep in mind, that our process is methodical and honed to the extent that all major decisions made on projects are done with client approval. Therefore, I/F changes to Penguins, after the fact and before are simply an evolution that have occurred; paid for by the client and all. Similarly, with Realtybid, but their changes have a much longer story I hear.

My example of "going out on the edge a bit" is more applicably directed to a case such as Taig Khris whereby we had a great deal more creative freedom then is typified by client projects. Either way, I believe it is safe to say; even Taig's site will undergo periodic and routine changes as we continue to receive and process visitor feedback.

Nothing's perfect, and I'll be the first to admit that. (Except Miles' shirt selection)
    Miles always seems to get it right lol

I accept your points Tony, valid ones at that. I as stated earlier, I was mearly playing devils advocate and encouraging debate on 2a's methodologies and design principles. Your comments made for interesting reading. Thank you.

Originally posted by pixelranger
    Optical. No offense here. But how long have you been in the business and how many client engagements have you been in?

The reason I ask this is because sometimes, you can advise, explain and yell at a client till you are purple in the face. But after the client asks for it the 10th time, you GIVE it to them no matter how much you think/know something might not be right for them and no matter how many times you've told them it is wrong. In the end, the client is always right.

In the case of the Penguins, and Realtybid (2 clients which I am pretty confident that you know nothing about, or what they came to 2A for) That was exactly the case. Was it our idea to come up with a completely flashed out techy site to auction houses online? Seriously? I think you are smart enough to see where I am going with this one....No it wasn't our idea. That was the agenda of the client you saw. Did we do our best to fulfill the clients needs and dreams? You bet your bottom dollar.

Like I said, You can tell a client something till your head explodes, but when they have something stuck in their mind, sometimes there isn't a whole lot you can do about it. In the case of the Penguins, we were glad they finally listened to reason and had me downsize the header. For you to say that we design for designers in mind. Well. I'm sorry to say that is from my perspective a pretty ignorant comment and one that stems from a lack of dealing with clients face to face as I do every day.

You seem to think that at 2A we march to the beat of our own drummer. I for one take offense to that. I have been doing this for years now. I have taken classes on usability. I have sat in seminars held by Forrester Research. I have won awards for Usability from Forrester and I like to think I always keep the end user in mind for any site that I personally design.

I always make the arguement that when dealing with a client, you give advice where you can, but for the most part you listen to what they have to say with both ears. Why? Because they should be the experts of their products. No single designer should dictate a website or a corporate brand by himself. It is ridiculous to assume that I could tell Mazda what is the best way for them to sell cars. So when I did their old website what did I do? I Listened to every word they had to say because bottom line they are the experts. And if their ideas and visions fail? Then their company is doomed to bumps in the road no matter what I say.

Hey Shiro.. Do you Inline? Just something to think about here, but Taig Khris is the client. He LOVES Techy, he LOVES 2A. This site is HIS vision. So for you to say its too techy for a Skater...AHAHHA dude that is just comedy to me.

My apologies to Lady Bring who will see this as some sort of oppression. I'm also a football coach so sometimes I gotta speak my mind.

Shane
    www.pixelranger.com
    No offence taken, see my previous post I'm a 2a fan Shane but I'm not sure I'd enjoy playing in your football team ehehe. Anyway stop wasting time posting essays - pull your finger out and get the propod site finished

Thanks Tony and Shane.

Feed me , **** me and shut the

ehh..

ejj people how are we sopoused to remember this url: http://12.106.77.134/ ?? he he

a question to 2a : did realitybid quit beeing your client or what? cuz when I type in the adress some crap comes up, but when I go to your site the url is www.2advanced.com/realitybid or something like that. Im just wondering cuz if I had a site like that I wouldent shut it down for all the puassy in the world. hehe just kidding

It always rains here!
    The new site looks amazing, but one thing, on the first flash page, there's a really obvious spelling mistake. In the box in the bottom right, the bit that says 'get on the mailing list', 'receive' is spelt wrong. They've got it spelt 'recieve' rather than 'receive' (the 'i' and the 'e' the wrong way round)

Not a criticism, just thought they'd like to know.