A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Advanced Preloader

Get Squared Away.

Question

I want to make a preloading screen that countsdown. It will start with
    5 loading graphics
    4 loading sound
    3 etc...
    How do I accomplish this? I know how to make a simple preloader by putting your entire library into one frame and using the If frame is loaded command, but when doing it that way you can only have a static tweening animation for the preloader and not a countdown. I've seen sites do it, like www.ldg.be , and I don't think it's faked because it doesn't always load at the same speed. Any information on how to do this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Senior Moderator
    Defender of the Faith

Cool

Just make a movie clip that has all the states that you want to show in it. ie, Sounds, interface, etc. Put a stop action in the first frame. Then make lables in lets say five frames. Name them one ,two, three,etc. Put them evenly along the time line ending with lable 5 in the last frame of the movie. Now using the if frame is loaded command check and see if lable 1 is loaded if it is tell the movie clip to goto frame 2. and etc for the rest of the areas. Regards, Bill

------------------
    Macromedians 1:1

In the beginning the web was without shape and color, and the hype covered the darkness of the net. Then there was a Flash and life came to the web and vision became reality.
    <EMBED src="/cgi-bin/ubb/Members/sigs/00000100.swf" quality=high WIDTH=375 HEIGHT=75 TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"> </EMBED>

Get Squared Away.

Question

Okay, so do I divide the contents of my library up into those five labels in the same movie clip?
    And where does the IF frame is loaded command go, and if my library is in the same movie clip, how do i do it so it doesn't show on the screen with my countdown animation? Could you send me an .swf example?

Lightbulb

There's a tutorial on FlashKit which covers this, and if you check it out I'm sure you could adapt the idea to your needs.

<EMBED src="/cgi-bin/ubb/Members/sigs/00000302.swf" quality=high WIDTH=400 HEIGHT=80 TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"> </EMBED>

Senior Moderator
    Defender of the Faith

Cool

You could check the download of the different atributes during download. But in general its an entertainment factor. Giving people somthing to look at while the site loads.
    The if statements are put in like this:

in the fith frame put the first if statement
    in frame seven put a goto frame 3 and play.

the if statement should say if lable 1 is loaded goto frame 8 and play / tell target "loading status" goto frame 2.

in frame 10 have your next if statement checking for the next label. Just repeat this until the movie is loaded. Regards, Bill

------------------
    Macromedians 1:1

In the beginning the web was without shape and color, and the hype covered the darkness of the net. Then there was a Flash and life came to the web and vision became reality.
    <EMBED src="/cgi-bin/ubb/Members/sigs/00000100.swf" quality=high WIDTH=375 HEIGHT=75 TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"> </EMBED>