dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: free-aiming shooter

free-aiming shooter

(I suppose I ought to warn ahead of time, it's pretty violent).

http://www.flecko.net/flash.php?file...600&height=400

If any of you frequent Newgrounds, you will no doubt recognize the art. I'm working with the creator of Madness Redeemer to build a different kind of shooter than the usual fare. Because the characters have no arms, you can aim freely with the mouse, and control the hand in any way you please.

It's an alpha, so there's no structure to it at this point. The enemies don't have AI yet, they're just ragdolls for you to shoot at. However, I feel the physics engine is pretty solid, and couldn't think of any place better to get that self-satisfaction knocked out of me. What's it need?

j00 r teh pwnz0r3d DarkMagicHacker's Avatar
    omfg that is so DAMN COOL

I love the Redeemer movies!
    You pwn. I pwn. We all pwn for ice pwn.

Chop Suey! The Greatarst Gaem EVAR!!!!!!!!

That's pretty good. Although there are too many control options which would probably make it hard to do something quickly when playing the game. If you won't use the up and down arrows for anything in your game it would probably be better have those scroll through a selection of guns instead of having the user hit the number keys.

Max

the number keys won't be a problem in the final game. You won't be able to create weapons, they'll either be there to begin with or an enemy will drop them, and you can't keep an inventory. I do agree, though, that things are a bit complicated right now. I think it will be made simpler by moving to the awsd keys and having shift throw, which is easier to reach than control.

PWFilms
    Oh hey! You made the kentucky space battles game... My favorite... Good luck on this one, it looks good so far.

Hey man, if you need another programmer, contact me at nitron45@yahoo.com and phlashgold@hotmail.com

I'd love to program the AI for the game.

HAHAHAHAH If you buy the big gun and shoot with enemies behind you, the gun knocks them and pushes them down! Genius!!!

AHAHAHAHAHAHH IF YOU SHOOT THEM THEN NADE THEM THEY FLY

Elvis...who tha f**k is Elvis? phreax's Avatar
    Hehe, this could get ugly Great potential for a game
    Streets Of Poker - Heads-Up Texas Hold'em Poker Game

Its looking good..

And I know you know this, but when you move forward, his arm doesnt, so the mouse isnt on the hand anymore, then if you move it to the right, sometimes the mouse goes out of the screen.. maybe lock the hand to the mouse.. I knwo that means he will aim back when you walk forward, but its easy to adapt, and gives you a reference where your mouse is,

Its looking good..

And I know you know this, but when you move forward, his arm doesnt, so the mouse isnt on the hand anymore, then if you move it to the right, sometimes the mouse goes out of the screen.. maybe lock the hand to the mouse.. I knwo that means he will aim back when you walk forward, but its easy to adapt, and gives you a reference where your mouse is, but this will stop it so when you turn around his hand is backwards.. which is quite annoying. Apart from that I love it, it captures the Madness series well... Oh, and ask the guy who made it what the hell was up with the clown guy =)

Ps. DarkMagic it is obvious you are a newGrounds fanboy =)

Originally posted by PrED32
    Ps. DarkMagic it is obvious you are a newGrounds fanboy =)
    I am...

I truly am...
    My footer is missing

If you find it, call 1-800-FTR-GONE

Thank you for your co-operation.

Originally posted by PrED32

And I know you know this, but when you move forward, his arm doesnt, so the mouse isnt on the hand anymore, then if you move it to the right, sometimes the mouse goes out of the screen
    That's why I need SWF studio, which will allow me (at least in the downloadable exe) to lock the mouse within the screen. I figure I can buy the $80 version for non-profit organizations, since I don't make no damn money . Also, there will be higher resolution versions where there's a large black area around the action that also detects the mouse.

Yeah but thats a loophole, not everyone is willing to download a standalone, try locking it to the mouse, i truly think it would be alot better.

But neways, yeah, its excellent.

looking fantastic so far!

Pred is right people would like that much better.
    My footer is missing

Awesome

great game, I dont know what to say, great stress relief. It's very adicting!!!!!!!
    Matt

I'm not so sure about that. I did originally have the control locked to the mouse, and the problem was that once you got out of the hand's range, it was even more of a pain finding your way back in. It just didn't feel as natural. I may include mouse-locked control as an option, though.

Wow, whenever I watched those redeemer movies I thought it would make a kickass game but whoever made it would mess it up and it wouldn't be like the cartoon. This feels like the cartoon though! Its very very very good. You will be the god of newgrounds if this is finnished. The only thing that is really annoying is the mouse, but you'll fix it.

Hmmm... if you insert an option for a locked mouse, please put a dot in so it shows where the mouse is! that would own for aiming.
    My footer is missing