A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Preload multiple external swf

Preload multiple external swf

ive gone through almost every thread on this forum trying to find the answer to this but nobody has an answer that works. im trying to create a preloader to my site that loads external swfs that appear later in the site (like cached into the browser), the problem im having has to do with the particular type of preloader im using, it is found on flash kit tutorials
    http://www.flashkit.com/tutorials/In...-855/index.php
    i would like to somehow load the external swfs and monitor the bytesloaded and bytestotal, and upon completion not display them, i believe its possible, but nothing i try seems to work, the files are included if youd like to take a look,

thanks in advance for your help
    Attached Files Attached Files

Banned
    Why say the files, if there's only one .fla?

Banned
    For one thing, since you decided to load in a container (I do prefer levels!), your container clip is not event present on stage, when you're trying to load your movie. It has to be!

Hi Silver-oozaroo,

Made some slight adjustments to your script
    now uses getBytesLoaded() and getBytesTotal().
    You can add a dynamic text field to display
    a text read out. I have added a couple
    off //comments in regards to this.

Hope the attached file helps.

Milosav
    Attached Files Attached Files

thanks for the addition to the code, i tried it out, but its still not working, its still not tracking the external swf, i tried including the external swf but its too large to post, if you try including a file of your own you can see what i mean, the larger the better, the one i plan on using is 100 k, but no matter the size of the external, the preloader runs almost instantaneously and doesnt load the file all the way before playing the animation. i hope somebody can help me on this. the file is attached on my first post and the edited version on milosav's reply. thanks again

Banned
    What's NightL ?

The external movie you're trying to load?

Is this movie already uploaded somewhere I could link to it?

Hi Silver-oozaroo,

I looked over my script and I do not see any
    problem in it.

I think the problem is that the Frame 1 of
    your external .swf must be a blank frame with
    just a stop(); action. This is to stop the movie
    streaming ( which is flash default with loadMovie).
    All your stuff starts on Frame 2

This means that you will need to place this

container.gotoAndPlay(2);

when you want to start playing the preloaded
    external .swf.

So if you had a button you could use
    on(release){container.gotoAndPlay(2);}

Milosav

thanks for that info, ive never tried a stop action on the loaded external, ill give it a try. the NightL.zip is at http://www.geocities.com/senekerc it has both fla and swf, sorry about that i shouldve posted that earlier. once i finally get NightL to load within the preloader, the button i have that links to it later in my site, will have to use the gotoandplay(2) command wont it? as it will have a stop action on the first frame. thanks again for all your help guys. if you think of anything else that might help me out im all ears,

chris

well i tried using the stop action on the other movie, and it still loads instantaneously, im not sure what im doing wrong? is it the external swf im using? if you download it youll notice its just a single frame with an image on it, i did this so i could publish it in a way that nobody could steal it. i also tried loading it just as an external jpg but the preloader still isnt tracking the bytes. im going to create a zip file and post it on my site, http://www.geocities.com/senekerc im going to include all my files that i intend to use and if anybody can see what im doing wrong id appreciate it, thanks again.