dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: transparent movies

transparent movies

I would like to create multiple flash movies with transparent backgrounds so that I can layer my website in stages thus keeping the file size down. Can you do this with flash or do I have to create seperate html pages for each flash movie which instruct the movie to use a transparent background?

Mom said "make me a Mod" el-Ignoramus's Avatar
    Hi there t.alexander

goto file>publish settings>HTML and select transparent windowless, that'll export all html files with the transparency, otherwise you can edit just one .HTML file and load the rest of the .swf files in it using the loadMovie action

hope that helped

I'm not sure I understand the benefit to makin the bkgr transparent in this way. Does it allow layered flash movies to be seen through eachother? What I was hoping to do, is create a flash movie with a transparent bkgr so that the background of the html page can be seen through. Setting transparency in this way doesn't seem to work. Should it? Or is this possible in some other way?

One thing to be aware of: The only browser (as far as I know) that allows transparent backgrounds (wmode=transparent) is Internet Explorer. All other browsers will show a solid background. Now if you load all the movies within flash (instead of as layers on the HTML page), you should be able to do what you are attempting.

-monster.

Other browsers now support transparent movies if you use the most recent releases of flash player 6 (mozilla on windows/mac etc )

if you use transparent movies you should be able to position your movie in an html element and position it with other html layers (use the z-index property for stacking)

transparent backgrounds

I have followed the instructions to create transparent backgrounds using flash and it works fine offline in Internet Explorer, the trouble is when I put the swf online the whole movie appears transparent rather than just the background.
    I know the movie has loaded because when I click on the blank space the movie appears for a split second and then dissapears. Can anyone help?

Mom said "make me a Mod" el-Ignoramus's Avatar
    Hi there t.

I don't get what you mean by the whole movie is transparent, do you mean it does not exist? or it does exist but with alpha channel?

if it's place is in there, but you can't see the movie, i.e. when you right click you see the flash menu but no movie loads, you want to check you're connecting to the correct path

post files, and links as usual

hope that helped

catbert303,

I've downloaded/installed the newest Flash Player (6,0,79,0) on both my Windows and Mac platforms. Transparent Windowless mode works great on Windows IE6.0.26, not at all on Windows Netscape 6.0, great until a Flash element animates on Mac Netscape7.01, and not at all on Mac IE5. My conflict is with a JavaScript DHTML pop-up menu, which you can view at http://www.americasmart.com/about_us.../building1.cfm (yes, it's a live site).

I'm reading through msdn (http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...ositioning.asp) now about how to set the z-index. Since you seem to have already gone through this, though, I would seriously appreciate any advice that you could give me.

--mindmagma

Originally posted by catbert303
    Other browsers now support transparent movies if you use the most recent releases of flash player 6 (mozilla on windows/mac etc )

if you use transparent movies you should be able to position your movie in an html element and position it with other html layers (use the z-index property for stacking)

more on zIndex

As far as I can tell, I've jacked both the Object and Embed tags down to a zIndex of -100 using:
    STYLE="position:relative; top:0; left:0; z-index:-100"

And, looking through the javascript menu code, it looks like its zIndex ordering starts at 100 and only goes up from there. However, I'm still experiencing the same layer ordering problems... And I know that my STYLE attribute is kicking in, because I can set the relative positioning values to something else and see the results in both Netscape and IE.

Any enlightenment would be greatly appreciated.

--mindmagma

Hi,

Have you tried just setting the z index (to values greater than 1) for the items that overlay the movie,

eg

use your regular object and embed tags (with the wmode stuff of course ) then something like,

<div id="someItem" style="position: absolute; left: 100px; top: 150px; z-index: 2;">Something to go over the flash movie</div>

The JavaScript pop-up menu layers are being set at 100+ (depending on how many submenus have popped out).

do you have a link to the page?

Related question

Also I checked out your link and the DHTML menus seem to sit ontop of the flash fine in IE 5 + 6 for Windoze... So I'm not exactly sure what your trouble is.

My question is this...

In Flash 5, (combined with any uses of JavaScript and DHTML layering), is there a way to make the background of the flash object (.swf) transparent thus revealing a regular old HTML web page background beneith it?

EXAMPLE:
    I have a cheesey tiled background on my web site.. I make a bouncing ball animation in flash and plop in on my page. The flash objects background is white.. how do I make it transparent so I see my bouncing ball on my cheesey tiled background?

Any help will be apprciated even if it's a definitive "No you cannot do that" or "only in Flash 6"... just need to reach a conclusion on this one.

Well I answered my own question

Got it to work... should have tested it in a few different browsers before I shot my mouth off here.

didn't work on the mac netscape or IE shot it over to the PC and worked fine in both 5 and 6..

So the moral of the story is... test it on all your **** before shooting your mouth off in the online forums.. Take it easy.

catbert303,

Thanks for your interest and sorry that it took me so long to respond. Here's the link:

http://www.americasmart.com/floor_plans/amc_bldg1.cfm

You can view source and search for z-index. I'm pretty sure that the format for the STYLE tag is right, since I can change the TOP and LEFT values and see the results in all browsers.

Now I'm just trying to figure out how to let you view the JS menu (which is an include)... Its URL is: http://www.americasmart.com/misc/menu_com.js
    You can either view it in Netscape or open/save it from IE. If you search it for zindex, you'll find a line that states:

this.style.zIndex=RcrsLvl+Ztop}}

RcrsLv1 shows up thoughout the script, being incremented or decremented within the loops. Ztop only shows up once:

var Ztop=100;

So, I'm assuming that, as long as RcrsLv1 is a positive number, zIndex is always 100+.

So, any ideas? I'm stumped.

--mindmagma

Originally posted by catbert303
    do you have a link to the page?