A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gear?

chatbugs.com ***** flashTampaDotCom's Avatar

hands down.. multi-monitors all the way..

I have 4x21" CRT's (@1280x1024).. and I can not imagine my desk without them.

1 AGP Matrox with dual output, and 2 other PCI Elsa cards under Windows 2000.... very nice to have the AS editor on one monitor full screen.. the main stage in one, and the timeline on the far left, with the panels arranged nicely. (I usually have outlook open on the 4th on the far right, and I switch back and forth from FW etc there)

I get a quirk here and there with the panel layout.. sometimes the timeline shrinks to only a "hair" and I have to drag it down again (when I open an .fla).. but otherwise.. I love it.

At my store location, I have 3x15" LCD's (@1024x768), and its O.K.. but.. having all the space is a must for me now.. I can work so much more efficiently.

It can be done very inexpensively for ALL versions of windows98+ (yes, even under Me).. PCI cards don't need to be high performance cards for extra monitors.. even cheapo S3 2MB cards work just fine!

-Jayson K. Hanes
    http://chatbugs.com
    http://hcitampa.com

Heaven is made
    of 1's and 0's
    4 21" monitors!!

Wipes up drool.

Can you post a pic of your area?

chatbugs.com ***** flashTampaDotCom's Avatar

well.. my office is such a mess.. but..

here is a pic of my desk (@my store) with the 3x15" LCD's on it.. (in the background).. made me laugh anyway.. LOL

here's an old pic of my desk a couple years ago, before I got set it up more nicely :OP

ya ya.. I'm not a clean freak :P

-Jayson K. Hanes
    http://chatbugs.com

ps.. the Sony on the left turns out, is not a 21" monitor.. I checked the specs (it is a little smaller).. its a 20".. ah well.. close enough

I use the small LCD to monitor my network with (connected to PC in upper left), is a 12" touch screen, and I sometimes try to draw with it.. not very good at it though
    Last edited by flashTampaDotCom; 03-29-2003 at 09:25 PM.

Wow, this thread took off!

Circa 2001

Mac or PC?

Bring on the flames ( I suppose)

Since this post is titled "gear" and we've all been so lively with it, I thought I'd just post this here.

Currently, I'm working as a graphic designer for a small print firm in Athens, Georgia. At work, I use a dual Ghz G4 with a single studio display. At home, I'm a three-eyed CRT W2K madman.

I've been drooling over the new 17" powerbooks, but I'm reluctant to switch back over (I was born a mac user) for such a hefty price tag. I know most of you will have religious views on this subject, so lets hear some testimony...

Señor member

Re: Mac or PC?

Originally posted by Rilian20

Since this post is titled "gear" and we've all been so lively with it, I thought I'd just post this here.

Currently, I'm working as a graphic designer for a small print firm in Athens, Georgia. At work, I use a dual Ghz G4 with a single studio display. At home, I'm a three-eyed CRT W2K madman.

I've been drooling over the new 17" powerbooks, but I'm reluctant to switch back over (I was born a mac user) for such a hefty price tag. I know most of you will have religious views on this subject, so lets hear some testimony...

I've always been a pc user but I'd have no qualms about getting an imac, I have been coveting one for a little while but I doubt I'll invest in it in the near future.
    Company, Meet Creative
    ------------------------
    welcomebrand

Developer
    The Bluegrass State Will Flash For Food ™
    I just bought a third monitor, 19 inch flat screen. Should be here within a week.

Just recieved my new system:

DELL Precission Workstation 2.66 GHz P4 machine with Hyperthreading enabled, 2GB of DDR SDRAM, and using two SONY P82 (18" LCD)monitors.
    This is all connected to a wireless network which allows me to share my desktop with a laptop placed by client seating to allow the ability to discuss work without the hastle of those over the shoulder conversations.

I think anymore, it's more about the software one uses rather than the OS the software lives in. I know there are still allot of folks who show loyalty to one system over the other...but really, isn't it ultimately about the end product. These items are all simply tools. If you don't have a creative bone in your body, no OS, or application will help with that problem.

Circa 2001
    Hothouse,

Congrats on your new system-I hope you're enjoying...(I'm sure you're in heaven).

You've made a wonderful point. I suppose the thing I'm most concerned with is reliability record-I mean hell, I don't really care about the OS from any other point of view than practical. If I can run all my apps with stability on Linux, then I'll do that.

Does this make sense?

Rilian

Heaven is made
    of 1's and 0's

Re: Mac or PC?

Originally posted by Rilian20
    No flames here. I do alot of print work and I hear that I am missing the boat by working on a PC. Can you elaborate on any differences, and or advantages you've experienced using the Mac vs. the PC?
    Thanks!

Rilian,

Thanks for the congrats!!! I do feel a bit like a child who just got a new bike (insert your favorite toy)!

I do understand the reliability issue! Nobody wants to get caught with their pants around their ankles < figuratively speaking!

I personally show no allegiance to any particular software manufacturer and I'm not here to defend either. I've not experienced (I am only one) the horror stories many banter about as proof that Windows is an inferior operating system.

I'm not at all familiar enough with MACS newest OS to comment on its reputation, though, I've heard very good thinks about it from people I respect highly!

I do often wonder though, if the reputations each receives might be a little exaggerated. I have a friend who runs a post-production music house here in Chicago, they run MACS exclusively and have experienced some growing pains!