A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: How do i disable read-only files on my mac in OS9?

How do i disable read-only files on my mac in OS9?

I bought a book "actionscript for designers" by Doug Salin which comes with a CD.

I read the book, understand most of it, but thought id do the tutorials on the CD anyway but on the first one, where i KNOW ive written the code correctly, it is so simple, it does nothing in test movie mode and even half the plain text doesnt show in test-movie mode when its all there and obviosu in authoring environment.

I am eondering if its because i didnt
    disable read-only attributes of the file with my computers operating simple"

I HOPE this is the problem??????????

Sorry guys, i dont know why i dont know how to do this but HOW do i do this?

Im on mac G3 on OS 9.2

Cesca
    What is essential is invisible to
    the eye

I doubt that's the problem, you can't make files read only etc. unless they're on a server which supports users and group priveleges. Mac OS 9 does not do this on it's own.

a couple fo things that come to mind are;
    - save the file to disk, if you opened it from a CD then flash will try and create the swf file on a CD; something it can't do.
    - make sure the file isn't locked, though this shouldn't make any difference to whether the file plays or not. Choose the file, get info on it, uncheck the "locked" box at the bottom of the get info window.
    Sam

Hi SJT,

Thanks for your reply. I am working from a file which i copied to my desktop. It isn't locked......

If you have a minute, here is the fla. OK, perhaps the code it wrong, it might be, but im more concerned about why (and HOW?) the movie doesnt show all the text in test-movie mode. Can you tell me whether its the same on your computer?

I suppose if its the same, then you'll know what i mean,but if its ok on yours you might not understand what i mean. Basically, it says something like "enter a number between 1 and 100 to change the opacity of the above picture" but in test movie mode it just shows as "enter a number between..." and no more....!!!???

Thanks for your time,

Cesca
    the eye

Oops here it is
    Attached Files Attached Files
    the eye

Odd...I solved the problem though.
    It seems to be something to do with using _sans as the font. If you put an extra return in after the last line, so there is a blank line under the text, the line above is drawn properly. Also if you change the font, the text is drawn properly, this seems to be a bug in using the sans-serif face.
    Sam

Thanks SO much!!!

It was one of those things where i thought id never figure out what it was,and i was worried it would be ok on your version and youd wonder what i was talkinbg about.

Thanks again

Cesca
    the eye