A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: png or jpeg

png or jpeg

What do you think is the best format for importing images into flash? What shows the best image quality VS smallest file size? I've had good luck with png files, but they tend to lose quality more than jpegs. Even though I set my flash output to high quality for both.

I use jpg almost exclusively. Use PNG only if you need transperancy. Mostly I try and stay with vectors tho.

Have you experimented with .wmf? They are tiny and they are layered when you bring them into flash, and they are editable. Check it out.
    Last edited by iaskwhy; 03-25-2003 at 12:51 AM.

That is a trick question?
    I always use .png's as you can edit with fireworks straight out of flash. You can then get the size etc perfect before you convert them to JPG's when you export. I have triedf almost every different way but still haven't come up with a good system that works for every image. Did you know that you can adjust export quality of images individually through the libraryinstead of using the default settings? Just double click the image in the library.

Originally posted by iaskwhy
    I use jpg almost exclusively. Use PNG only if you need transperancy. Mostly I try and stay with vectors tho.
    Jpeg sucks balls. Its a crappy compression.

I ONLY use png, it makes pictures look much better, and when you scale them around in flash, they don't pixelate as much as jpeg tends to do.

Doesn't really affect the flash file size either since it optimizes the pictures for the animation.

Also, png has supposed for both bitmap AND vector graphics, so if you make something in illustrator, you can import it into flash as a png and it will still be in vector form, un like making it into jpeg then bring it to flash, they it has no vector information and scalability is VERY limited.

Every time I use png's out of Photoshop or Fireworks I get a smaller file size, but they seem to lose more detail and get lossy, than if I import a jpeg (high quality) and than export it from Flash.

Originally posted by gunardson
    Every time I use png's out of Photoshop or Fireworks I get a smaller file size, but they seem to lose more detail and get lossy, than if I import a jpeg (high quality) and than export it from Flash.
    saying jpeg and high quality in the same sentence..... thats like saying Rosie Odonald and anorexia in the same sentence, IT DOESN'T GO LIKE THAT

A jpeg compression is way worse than png. if you are getting smaller png sizes than jpeg AND it is in worse quality, you aren't saving it right.

In Photoshop, save it as png 24 instead of png 8, which is probably what you have been doing.

Sorry, I stated that last post wrong...
    The file size of the png's from Fireworks are large, but they export well through Flash; and are smaller than jpeg's when exported in a swf.

Ya, but where did that png come from? Chances are if it's a photoimage it was once a jpg.

I'm always experimenting with sizes VS image quality... Anyway, most of my work is scanned in as TIFF, then I export it from Fireworks. From there I export as PNG (24), then import into Flash.
    .wmf sounds intriguing, but does Fireworks or Photoshop support that export type?
    Sorry for the confusion, I just wanted to know what anyone thinks offers the best quality in the smallest package.