dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Multiple Table From Access?

Multiple Table From Access?

How do I access multiple tables from a single Access Database from within the same ASP page? I'm not using .NET, just regular ASP. I've got several tables that I want to use with a single movie, or do I have to break it up, and use different ASP pages with a separate movie?

Displaying Multiple Access Records with Flash and ASP.

Most Flash & ASP tutorials only deal with returning one row of information at a time from the database to the Flash movie. I was interested in displaying multiple records and fields simultaneously. One resource (FlashCFM.com) pointed the way and I used this start to arrive at a nice solution which is explained here.

Above text taken form:
    http://www.flzone.net/ShowDetail.asp?NewsId=2002

If I am understanding you correctly this should be your answer. If not let me know.

light4u
    Design & Marketing
    http://www.dreamteammedia.com

ACtually, while that works very well, that's not exactly what I meant. I can retrieve multiple rows of information. It's different TABLES within the same database that I want to take information from. Let's say that I have a database that deals with my business. It has a table for my inventory, and a table for my employees. How can I access both from the same ASP? Do I just repeat all the code, but with the different names, or what?

Hi,

combining info from several tables is the normal way of life with databases.
    Suppose you have a table CUSTOMER that lists the customer number and street address, another table PRODUCTS with order numbers, prices, and descriptions, and finally a table ORDERS with columns customer number, order number, qty, order date.
    To "print" an invoice for a specific customer, you will want to
    SELECT name, address, city, zip FROM customer WHERE custno = '4711'
    first to get the address and then
    SELECT o.qty, p.orderno, p.price, p.descr FROM orders o, products p WHERE o.orderno = p.orderno AND o.custno = '4711'
    to get the invoice details.

Musicman

Thank you for the information on how to combine different tables, but what I'm looking for is a way to just display totally separate tables totally separate from each other, but from the same ASP, and the same Flash movie. Say that I want to display news items in a table called "News" (catchy, huh?), but I also want to display some contact information from a table called "ContactInfo" (wow, I'm amazing!), and they are in different parts of the movie. Can I use this method to send out totally different variables from two (or more) totally different tables? Or do I have to switch to another ASP, with my movie loaded there as well?

CJElven,
    I understand what you are doing now. Well I have done what you want to do but I am using 2 asp pages. I do not know ASP very well and I tried to consolidate my queries to one page but I could not get it to work so I ended up using two ASP pages. Works perfectly fine for now until I learn more about ASP.

light4u
    Design & Marketing
    http://www.dreamteammedia.com