A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: books for deisgning interface elements?

books for deisgning interface elements?

Hey,

I was wondering if anyone knew of some good books on designing interface elements. I did a search on Amazon but got back mostly interface theory books. It doesnt have to necerrary be related to flash, but i guess im learning more towards vector stuff....whatever you can recommend though.

I know im probably better off going through some web sites, but i'd rather do the book thing.

Shameless Newstoday Plug
    Hmm... I'm a bit puzzled. Isn't theory what you really want in order to design interfaces? Like it's fairly easy to learn how to draw in programs, but its the theory of specific things in design that tells you help you decide what to use.

<<< Hopefully less of an a**.

well i meant theory as in "human - computer interaction" type theory. I was looking more specifically for visual design stuff.

Shameless Newstoday Plug
    Heh.

Okay, I asked the boys/girls at Newstoday, here's what they brought out.

Simple Web Sites: Organizing Content-Rich Web Sites into Simple Structures

The Icon Book: Visual Symbols for Computer Systems and Documentation
    by William Horton

Homepage Usability: 50 Websites Deconstructed
    by Jakob Nielsen, Marie Tahir

Designing Web Usability : The Practice of Simplicity
    by Jakob Nielsen

If they aren't what you were looking for, feel free to put a few more specific characteristics.

Jakob Nielsen gets some high regards.

ah! thats my point exactly. Im not looking for books on usability issues. I'm looking for "how to do this effect....", "How to make this cool-looking thing here..."...get it?

and thank you for yo rreplay, thousands of people on these forums and only one person replied...sheesh.

ok, apparently i should have searched amazon using "web design" instead of "interface design"

Shameless Newstoday Plug
    Originally posted by FlashApe
    ah! thats my point exactly. Im not looking for books on usability issues. I'm looking for "how to do this effect....", "How to make this cool-looking thing here..."...get it?

and thank you for yo rreplay, thousands of people on these forums and only one person replied...sheesh.
    Trust me buddy, I know how you feel.

Cheers.

i miss were-here.

Originally posted by FlashApe
    I was looking through the members list (as you do!) its amazing how many people have 0 posts. There may well be half a million registered, but in principle there's only a fraction of that actualy use the board.

i was actually going by the number of posts in the forum, and the number of people logged in.