dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Can you use loadVariablesNum to get variables from another SWF in another frame?

Flasher

Can you use loadVariablesNum to get variables from another SWF in another frame?

Ive used LoadVariablesNum successfully reading from .txt files and php files. it doesnt actually say anywhere that you can get them from other swf files though... you must be able to though.. does anyone know? i have swf files in sperate frames that i need to talk to each other...

gotoAndPlay('flash');
    In help,they have clearly mentioned that loadvariablesNum load the variables from a text file or text generated by a CGI script, Active Server Pages (ASP), or PHP, or Perl script.

i have swf files in sperate frames that i need to talk to each other...
    Better you load your swfs on the layers instead of movieclips & hide or keep out of stage those layer whenever they don't required.
    Hope this helps.

Mahesh K.

Flasher
    ..but when i say frames, i mean actual HTML frames.. i think i can just about do what im trying to do by sending variables from one flash movie, to a php file, which then sends the variables to the other flash file but this seems bloody long winded.... can it be done simpler?

gotoAndPlay('flash');
    Oh ic. I thought swf's frames.
    Still no problem. Use javascript methods getVariables() & setVariable().
    See the following link
    http://www.macromedia.com/support/fl...hflash_03.html

Mahesh K.

Flasher
    cool. looks like that might just do the trick. thanks alot man; great help.
    Last edited by richblend; 03-29-2003 at 09:39 AM.

Flasher
    no..wait...hang on.. right, if anyone can help with this.. so now i have some javascript functions in my armoury that i can use to make different swf's talk to each other. but this is all well and good when there are 2 swf's in the same HTML document, but when im using frames, what happens then? i could put the javascript in the parent HTML document (the frameset) but surely this wont work. confuzzled again........