A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Video streaming over the net

Designer

Video streaming over the net

I made it like this: http://sasha-art.ru/show/video/ in windows media player .asf files - they're quite small and better than .rm, or you think it is a silly way - I need the smallest file size that is possible.

And what do you think about Sorensen Squeeze?
    Want a dynamic site with nice graphics? Solutions for the new age. Marco Tech
    vBulletin skins | Button sets | Free Photoshop addons | Web templates | PHP

Hi Tagore,

Good job on the videos. The quality is great. I don't know that much about asf files. How big are your files and how long are the videos (30seconds?). In my experience with compressing video with Flash for a broadband connection I typically encode for 1-1.25MB per minute. For example a 5 minute clip would be about 7MB. For 56K modem it is much less (Same 5 minute clip is about 1-1.5MB).

I think the number reason to buy Sorenson Squeeze is it very easy to use. Wildform Flix (its competitor) seems to have more options and it encodes MPEGs. For some reason Sorenson Squeeze does not.

A couple questions for you. How do you go about making asf files from mpegs or avi? Have you ever used asx files? Do you have to set up a streaming server to display the asf videos.
    PC | 1.7GHz P4 | 256MB RAM | FLASH MX | IE6 | WIN XP | BROADBAND

Designer
    I make .asf files with Ulead Media Studio Pro 6.5 - I've used it for yers. Never heard of .asx, and have just an ordinary server, so it's no problem. The videos are 20 sec each, about 1.5 mb large, just like yours. The quality is rather poor - but good enough for web. I'll see that "Flix" thing, thanks.
    Want a dynamic site with nice graphics? Solutions for the new age. Marco Tech
    vBulletin skins | Button sets | Free Photoshop addons | Web templates | PHP