A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Client probs, plz read

Client probs, plz read

(if this is in the wrong section, could a mod please move it)

ok i was working with this guy from xoxide.com to create them an ad in flash. well he really liked the outcome, and then after he agreed he would pay me for it his boss didnt like it. heres the actual convo he had with his boss:

BriBoy923: http://www.mg315.com/stuff/banner.html
    GSalimus: dont think its too good
    GSalimus: actually, not good at all
    GSalimus: people don't "watch banners"
    BriBoy923: ouch
    BriBoy923: ok
    BriBoy923: can I give you the guys AIM and you can talk to him when he comes online?
    GSalimus: Well
    GSalimus: People dont watch banners Brian.
    BriBoy923: i know
    GSalimus: Thats the only thing bad about it I guess.
    BriBoy923: and since I don't know much about the whole thing, i was dumb enough to think its good and work with him on it
    BriBoy923: when you mean they dont watch banners, are you saying its too long?
    GSalimus: Its gotta get the point across shortly, and also... besides that...
    BriBoy923: yeah
    GSalimus: at any point throughout the banner, there needs to be something that you want there. any still frame should have something attractive to our market.
    GSalimus: Like a banner that is 10 seconds long is fine
    GSalimus: if it cycles through products
    GSalimus: or even 20 seconds
    GSalimus: because at any given second
    GSalimus: its a good banner
    GSalimus: but a banner that has 16 seconds of nothing...
    GSalimus: and then a punchline at the end
    GSalimus: isnt very good
    BriBoy923: I hear ya
    i was wondering, since you guys are probably their target market, do you think this is an appropriate banner?

http://www.mg315.com/stuff/banner.html

im gonnna make another one to his specifications, but i was wondering if just listening to him and doing whatever he says is best or if i should show him that his target market usually are interested in that kinda stuff so it would be benefitial to him to use both. what do you think? do you think the one i made would catch your attention better than a simple static one saying "post on board, earn store credit" and then their logo and maybe a picture of their product?

[edit] heres a quick one i did matching his criteria:

http://www.mg315.com/stuff/banner2.html

personally i dont like it much, but then i could be wrong. which do you think is most effective?
    Last edited by MG315; 03-30-2003 at 03:17 PM.
    Bill Erickson: resume | portfolio
    1 | 2 | 3 | 4
    Great Designs for $100

One day older, one day wiser rafiki55's Avatar
    Although I am not going to choose which is better, this is my 2 cents.

At the end of the day, it's the client who has $$ and you want that $$. B/c you were hired to design the ad (if i'm not mistaken) and not be their advertising consultant, it is not your place to be telling them the ad you like better and force it on them.

With that said, yes, you should tell them that you think that the first ad is more effective, but if they don't like it, that's their choice. I would tell them again that the first ad (in your professional opinion) is better, and if they still don't listen, then you just go with their choice.

You want them to be happy at the end of the day...b/c when they are happy, that = $$ (and that's what the goal was in the first place)

If you really feel that they should have the first one, then explain it to them. Explain why it's better and why you like it. Although you may not want to go through all that effort...it all depends on how bad you want to convince them.

i can just as easily give them the second one and leave with the money (if they like it). but the reason i ask is i want them to come back to me next time they need designing done. It's one thing to design it exactly to their specifications, but then if it is not effective or ppl dont like it they might go to someone else next time. im thinking i'll just send them both when im done and if they ever decide to use it they can.
    1 | 2 | 3 | 4
    Great Designs for $100

You should always establish the clients needs before the mouse hits the mousemat.

A typical client will state:

'we'd like a banner promoting the forum, stick a few products on it and our logo'

Then it is up to the designer / project manager to actually find out what they want:

'We'd like a 10 second or less long banner, 480 wide by 60 pixels down. Our logo should always be present and there should be a call to action for more than half of the entire duration. We do not want our corporate identity dwarfed by anything, we do not want to use too many fonts and all the text should be big and bold. The filesize should be less than 15k and should take less than 10 seconds to download on any machine. The complete text should read [blah blah blah] and should not fade out slowly, it should emerge zippily from the left.'

There you go, a few questions would derive this feedback saving you time which in turn is money.

Hope this helps

Living the dream

one more question. how do you use contracts when dealing with online business. i mean its easy to use contracts when working with local businesses but how does one implement the use of contracts when dealing with companies in other states, or worse, other countries?
    1 | 2 | 3 | 4
    Great Designs for $100

The Minister of No Crap

Originally posted by MG315
    one more question. how do you use contracts when dealing with online business. i mean its easy to use contracts when working with local businesses but how does one implement the use of contracts when dealing with companies in other states, or worse, other countries?
    MG315,

This is my biggest concern with your story. I could care less which banner "the boss" likes better; I care more about what the current agreement is between the two of you.

I have a sample contract you can use. When using this contract, understand that you can change any part needed to meet your circumstances. This contract should be finalized and signed between the two of you before you begin any work. Otherwise, you're just setting yourself up for working without ever getting paid.

Faxing or emailing a JPG/gif of the signed contract would be sufficient in court.

Hope this helps.

Scott

so before starting ANY project, i should create the contract, sign it myself, email or fax it to the client, have him sign it and fax/email it back to me? ok just checkin. i'll make sure to do that for my next project. i'm beginning to think i really shouldve used a contract. the original person i was working through, the guy who showed the banner to his boss, blocked me on AIM i think for no apparent reason (i suspect he might use the banner without paying, in which case i would get no money). but i've talked to his boss a little and he just said "improve the 2nd one a lil more, but thats basically what we're looking for" so i dunno.
    1 | 2 | 3 | 4
    Great Designs for $100

The Minister of No Crap

Originally posted by MG315
    i'm beginning to think i really shouldve used a contract.
    Yes. Just take this whole thing as a learning experience for your next project.

Scott