A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: What's the approx. price range to have a message board setup (i.e Flashkit etc.)

What's the approx. price range to have a message board setup (i.e Flashkit etc.)

I'm not interested in Freebie Boards (I prefer to make it more personalized and professional looking like Flashkit). I've also encountered Message Boards with chatrooms attached as well which I would like to have. Last but not least, how are smilies made, any sites out there? Any feedback would be great.

Thanks in advance

Senior Moderator ®
    FK´s Banning Machine ™

The fine people of this forum should be able to help you

www.invisionboard.com
    free and esy to use and manage

Nyuk! Nyuk! Nyuk! Hey Moe... serpent star's Avatar
    Originally posted by vampstko
    www.invisionboard.com
    free and esy to use and manage

Check out Jamble's board... it's an example that shows the free boards are really not that weak at all. I believe Invisionboard will install it for a nominal fee, and I thought I read on his site that Jamble himself offers the install service and will work up the css for you to make it pretty. Might be wrong on that though.

http://www.drunkfoundation.com and navigate to the forum or whatever he labeled it.

FK's Official Mac Hater jasonsplace's Avatar
    Try phpBB from http://www.phpbb.com. It is free and I like it even better than all of the pay ones I have seen. You can see an example at http://www.ericdsnider.com/phpbb/. It is packed with features and very easy to install and use. Check it out.
    Jason L. Wright
    I'm not that hard to imitate. Just make some random negative claim at Apple or anything else for that matter and then have nothing to back it up.

Invision

Invision does free installation and assistance if you do hosting through them. You can also submit free request for coding modifications that will get worked on as time is available, and you can pay extra to get "instant" coding help.

I have a forum with them and they seem to be on the ball.

~Barry
    SwishReality

www.swishreality.com
    Templates for Swish 2.0

Just a note: The cost of the bulletin board software is pale in comparison to the cost to host a successful bulletin board. Beware.

I use Infopop's ubb.threads and have been an Infopop customer for about 3 years. I love the way it works and there are all kinds of hacks. Infopop

I will say this - heed the advice you've been given - the cost of setting up a bb pales in comparison to the amount you'll spend in personal time and hosting fees if it gains popularity. I am now paying for 9 gigs of transfer a month on my site.

Feel free to look around and ask questions - Human Resources Mentoring and Networking Association
    WebStrong Media (TM)
    WebStrong

Señor member
    Originally posted by serpent star
    Check out Jamble's board... it's an example that shows the free boards are really not that weak at all. I believe Invisionboard will install it for a nominal fee, and I thought I read on his site that Jamble himself offers the install service and will work up the css for you to make it pretty. Might be wrong on that though.

http://www.drunkfoundation.com and navigate to the forum or whatever he labeled it.

Thanks Mat

aikam - there's no real difference in quality these days in boards you have to pay for such as vbulletin. Invisionboard is imo a better solution anyway, it's faster, got better (or at least equal) features, it's a damn sight easier to customise than vbulletin and the new version they're working on is going to be standards compliant.

As for the installs, yes, if you're hosted with them (as I am) then you can get free installs done but they charge a small fee if you're not. To be honest though, it's that easy to set up you shouldn't really need it.

I've been an ikonboard user, a phpbb user and now invisionboard for the last year or so and invisionboard just gets better and better
    Company, Meet Creative
    ------------------------
    welcomebrand