A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: How do I make a flash page automatically resize based on the resolution of users scrn

How do I make a flash page automatically resize based on the resolution of users scrn

Hey guys, im just wondering how i can make my flash page automatically adjust in size based on the users resolution, so that when someone with 800x600 display, for example, sees the same size page as someone with a 1280x960 display. Thanks a ton for your help.

yosunism grand yosunist
    you can use javascript... or, if you're page is 1:1 to most screen resolutions, just set the width and height of the .swf file both to 100%
    o_O

It always rains here!
    When you publish your movie, just set it to match movie.

Then, (and i'm presuming you're using dreamweaver) in your html package, insert the flash file, then in properties, set the width and the height both to 100%, this will make the flash file automatically scale to the size of the user's browser window.

Do beware though, this isn't always the best route to go down. I run at 1600 x 1200 res and sites that are 100% of my browser window often look awful.

You're better off making the site about 700 pixels wide, then putting it in the centre column of a 3 column table, then creating a nice background for the two other columns in say photoshop.

Originally posted by Olli_Budworth

You're better off making the site about 700 pixels wide, then putting it in the centre column of a 3 column table, then creating a nice background for the two other columns in say photoshop.
    So you are saying to make a table, insert 3 columns and then put the flash file in the center column, and this will automatically center it each time the browser window is opened in any resolution?

Is there any more to it?

Thanks for your wisdom!

Katie
    KatieJ

If all you wanted to do was center the movie, you could have just 1 table set to 100% width and height, and set the table contents to center vertically and horizontally, then drop your movie in it.

What he was saying is if you want a fullscreen flash file, you should surround it with tablecells that will stretch the width.

I'd say that's good advice, but a bit narrow - - - you might want to have the flash bleed off the edges of the screen...

State of Confusion
    clever idea, re the 3-column 100% one, I'll try that .. thanks!

-better than resizing the swf

Now, any ideas how to make the window resize and lose all but the top toolbar, to fill the users' screen?
    http://www.DaytradingUniversity.com/flash.htm

It always rains here!
    Originally posted by surfcat
    clever idea, re the 3-column 100% one, I'll try that .. thanks!

-better than resizing the swf

Now, any ideas how to make the window resize and lose all but the top toolbar, to fill the users' screen?
    That would be done using a bit of java script - there are 100's of scripts out there to do this, try:

www.scriptsearch.com - under the java script section - you'll find one that suits perfectly!

yosunism grand yosunist
    nusoy.com was originally designed for a full screen ratio.
    but the standard browser bar messes up the usual flash 100% w/ 100% h output... is there a way to get this to fit the whole regular sized browser window (besides javascript)?
    o_O

State of Confusion
    thx olli, others... hey we should have a place here in FK for scripts that do these things.. any ideas/feedback on that?

doing a forum search for "browser resize" and it looks like dozens of others are asking the same thing..
    http://www.DaytradingUniversity.com/flash.htm