A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Animated Buttons and MCs

Animated Buttons and MCs

Hey all, I just had a question as to what people feel is the "best" way to create mouseOvers that animate not only on mouseOver but on mouseOut. Currently, I've only been able to create a "mouse out" effect by basically playing a movie clip backwards in the Over frame of a button. What this means is that for each nav link I have I have not only the button but the embeded movie clip, which can make my libraries pretty confusing to people who aren't me. Any thoughts/tips?

the way I usually do it is have a movieclip, with the rollover and rollout animation, and an invisible button (the shape of the movie clip in the hit state of the button) over the movieclip. basically I use the "on(rollOver) {" action on the button to play the rollover animation and the "on (rollOut) {" action to play the rollout animation. I don't know if this is the best way, but its how I do it.

I get using of actionscrip to perform the action but what if your just want to use another tweened motion or shape animation in its place. Can you play an internal MC using AS something like this

on (mouseOver)
    {
    play(_root.someobject)
    }
    ?

sure, thats what i was talking about. using an external MC.
    you could do something like
    Code:
    on (rollOver) {
       _root.something.play();
    }

WOW! Awesome. thanx