dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: OpenGL version of the Flash Player

Timetravelling Superhero AJ Infinity's Avatar

OpenGL version of the Flash Player

We all know how the Mac version of the Flash Player is slower than the PC version. Since MM's not doing anything about it, let's do it ourselves! How does a Cocoa based Mac OS X only, OpenGL and SDL accelerated version of the Flash Player sound? PC users can speed up their flash games with SWFxxl, which runs Flash games with DirectX accelerated fullscreen at 60fps and higher. (gasp!)

I know most of us don't know how to use OpenGL or Cocoa, but if we started an opensource project (glFlash) on SourceForge.net, and asked for some help from Mac programmers on iDevGames.com, we could probably pull this off. And how do we decomplile SWFs? We get the SWF files specifications from OpenSWF.org.

What do y'all think of an idea like this?
    From here to infinity,
    A J I N F I N I T Y

don't forget - also a PC only release - GlobFX's OpenGL flash accelerated player that's free as well...

but you have a very good idea. I just don't know enough Objective C/Cocoa to help at the moment though...

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Certianly a great idea, but I don't know enough Objective C or C either...
    Starting a project at sourceforge is also a good idea, but how likely do you think te support of wandering Objective C programmers is?
    Worth a try I suppose.
    Sam

Timetravelling Superhero AJ Infinity's Avatar
    There are alot of Objective C projects on SourceForge. From YahooPOPs to the all in one instant messaging app Fire. Check out the OSX section of the site (it's crowded). Plus I know a few ObjC programmers, and I know a little of ObjC myself (I'm a Level 3 Beginner). I'm know C++ also, and I know how to use OpenGL and SDL.
    From here to infinity,
    A J I N F I N I T Y

Well if you need any help with the project, don't hesitate to ask. I'm not sure what I can do, except give it a boost here at FK through my modship.
    Sam