A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Save txt to hard drive fscommand

Save txt to hard drive fscommand

hello i have a flash mx file that has a varible that i would like saved to a txt file on my hard drive. this is not online. they have taken out fscommand(save) and i was wondering if there is anyother way to do this. any help appreciated. Patrcik

doing a search in this forum will get you more info.
    I think this is only possible with Flash 5 on Windows (which version i don't know)

For other options check the "local shared object" at macromedia.com/support/flash
    gparis

well i have tried but i did not find any posts. i alwys search before i post. they all used fscommand but that has been removed now in the new standalone. and the shared object i like to use for little things but this is going to be like a program where they can save their data to a text file. is there no way to do this now without serious programming skills. thanks for the help. Patrick

I am also looking for a way to save some variables to a text file. I have written C++ programs to do this, so if nothing else is there a way to send arguments to my C++ program?

http://www.macromedia.com/support/fl...write_file.htm

found that at MM. I'm afraid it's not good news..
    From a server it's easy (using server side scripts) but not from a standalone. It was possible, as i said, from flash 5 & Windows only but not anymore from MX. I guess for security reasons.

gparis

Well, I do still have a copy of 5 so I could revert back just for this project. I am running windows, so could you just show me how or point me to a tutorial? Thanks

http://www.moock.org/asdg/technotes/fscommandsave/

shows how to save variables to text file, and works when tested. Except it overwrites the data in the file everytime it's run. But I can get past this. But this is only for Flash 5 and windows. guess it's good enough for this project