A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: coverting .psd with multiple layers to a gif/jpg

coverting .psd with multiple layers to a gif/jpg

I have a huge psd file template with multiple layers (around 40). I made edits to two layers (changes text of buttons) and need only those two buttons to be exported to jpg/gif format. Adobe lets me save the WHOLE psd template file in GIF/JPG.

How do I get the two layers I want saved so that I can plug those two in my HTML as buttons?

shailu

Can't you just make all the layers apart from the ones you want invisible then export as a gif or jpg?

Toony

make the layers you don't want invisible and narrow down the area to export by using the selection tool, then image>crop, then save for web.

you can undo the cropping afterwards to restore your template.

I have never used it, but I think this is what the slice tool is for. I can't help you with that, but here is how I do it. I drag out guide lines and get the area I want set up within the guides. Then I select the area with the marquee tool and copy and paste the image in a new document and then save from there. You can always undo the changes or just close the document without saving it. Be careful though because it is easy to forget and save the flattened image over the psd. If you need to make changes at a latter date and will need to make sure that the image is the same everytime you cut it, you can drag the guide lines onto the document and get them set up and then save. The guide lines will remain in the saved version.

Unless I'm misunderstand you , I think you guys are making this WAAAY too hard..

If the area that you need to select is not antialiased, (straight lines, rectangle?)

simply flatten your image, select the area that you want to copy with the selection tool, edit, copy, file, new, edit paste. and there you go. photoshop makes the new file the exact size of your selection. save that new image as whatever you want.

Then, go to the history of your big file, and jump back about 4 steps till before you flattened it.

If your image is say round, do this, go to the layer that your (button) or whatever is on. Ctrl+left click the layer, (in the layers pallette) this will make an exact selection of that layer...

then repeat the steps above, flatten, copy, paste into a new file, save, and your set.
    Last edited by caseywhitcher; 04-14-2003 at 02:55 AM.
    Sometimes....when it comes over me..... And I totally lose control......... I Like it.

www.visiontilt.com
    www.glamourdog.com
    www.caseyandcynthia.com

Well, that is exactly what I was saying, although I did forget to say that you had to flatten the image. I brought up the guidelines because if you have to make a change later, if you have the guide lines set, you can always make a copy at exactly the same size. Guidelines are a good habit to get into using so that if you need to make a small change, you can easily make the new image the exact same size as before.

Images and Layers

Simply hide the layers on the layers menu that you don't want included in your save file, once you have the image you want save as gif, jpg, png, whatever. If you need to resize it, open your saved version resize and resave, very easy
    WildChili.com

I don't like the hiding layers method.

What if I have 28 layers in my .psd, and 21 of them are currently shown, and 7 are hidden, I don't want to have to go back through them all and figure out what to hide and unhide again. (hiding layers does not store in history)

By the way, if someone knows the hotkey...??? I know there is a shortcut in photoshop that will basically make a new layer on top of all your other layers that is the flattened version of your artwork.

I usually do that the long way, Flatten , ctrl-A , ctrl-C, history, go back three steps, then Ctrl-V on the top most layer in my layers pallette, does the same thing.
    Last edited by caseywhitcher; 04-15-2003 at 02:53 PM.
    Sometimes....when it comes over me..... And I totally lose control......... I Like it.

www.visiontilt.com
    www.glamourdog.com
    www.caseyandcynthia.com

hmmmm......

I am a graphic artist and some of my images can contain hundreds of layers which makes them appear 3D, this is a technique most artist in my profession use, however, you as an artist must use what makes you comfortable.
    WildChili.com

Just an FYI you don't have to flatten the photoshop file, if you're on the highest visible layer, just select the area you want and perform a copy merged (command, shift, c) create a new document (which will open to the size of the image on your clipboard,) paste and save for web. If you do that you can change the visibility of your layers and change them back before you forget and will also allow you to save the original layered file for edits that are inevitable.

my 2¢
    ellin