A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: fading???

fading???

Can someone tell me the easiest and most effective/most common way a fade transition is made on either text or graphics? Thanx

gotoAndPlay('flash');
    Hi!
    I manipulate '_alpha' property to get fade in/fade out effect.

Ok. I've come up against a more tough problem. It's baffled me for a full day now.

I've got a simple motion tween/fade in thing, fading a graphic symbol(originally text) from 0% alpha to 100% alpha. I've got this going on another layer in the timeline with no problem, but THIS. THIS one doesn't work! It just pops right in at 100% alpha whenever I export and test.

Here's the thing. When you click in the individual frames in the timeline, the fade looks just fine. But when you export/test? Garbage!

Please, I really need help on this one.

to make it work, you need to use embedded types.

gotoAndPlay('flash');
    Hi Lunchbox!
    I don't know is this your problem but if you want to manipulate text(masking, changeing alpha,ratation etc),you have to embed the font.
    Have to embeded the font of your text in graphics symbol?

Mahesh K.

Elaborate, please.

gotoAndPlay('flash');
    dop3 beat me!

yourtextfield.embedfonts = true ;

And I just put this anywhere? I'm not sure I follow... sorry. I'm kind of new at the complexities of Flash. This used to work just fine, I'm not sure why it doesn't work all of a sudden from Flash5 - MX.

you can also embed you font within the properties box.... i think there's a type or caracter button ... when you reach that submenu choose embbed all type ( in this case it only works for that textfield )

Awesome, that did it. Thanks a million, both of you. =)

is there a easier way

I've faded using alpha shades - but this seems like a lot of work to fade everything you want to fade - doesn't flash have a nice easy fade button or something, or is this why other programs like swish were created?

you can also embed you font within the properties box.... i think there's a type or caracter button ... when you reach that submenu choose embbed all type ( in this case it only works for that textfield )
    I'm having the same problem...but I can't find where I can set the text to be embedded... I'm pretty sure there is nothing in the property box for the text field that mentions anything about *embedded text*

Could you please elaborate dOP3.

Thanks
    Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss People.

7amood, highlight the textbox that you want to embed the font in. In the properties panel click the button that says "character" next the var field. Then choose "all characters." Hope that helps.
    delstrange

I'm sorry... i might not have explained myself clearly... I guess the previous submission referes to a "Textbox", my problem is with fading text that is coming from the Text Tool.

I guess that explains why I can't find the embedd option, charactor, or var fields.

thanks for pointing that out though.
    Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss People.

delstrange, any idea's on how i can get over this problem? I can easily do with images, but for some reason, text doesn't give you the option to do the Alpha transperancy... I really hate to have to switch all my text to images inorder to be able to do the fading.

you could try placing the text box with the embedded font into a movie clip, then placing that movie clip on the main timeline or inside any other movie clip then adjust the alpha of that movie clip.

The only other way to change the alpha when using the text tool is to turn that text into an instance (ie. graphic, mc) and then adjusting its alpha.
    delstrange

I'll try the first option... I'm not sure how successful I will be since I'm new to flash and I'm sure how I'll be able to create a second movie then link it to the main one using actionscript.

if you can give me some short pointers... that would be great

Thanks

you have to set your text to dynamic mode ... not static.

In this dynamic mode text property-box, you'll find a 'caracter' submenu ... then choose 'all caracters'...