A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: is it possible to change levels of loaded movies once they are loaded?

is it possible to change levels of loaded movies once they are loaded?

once i load and external movie to designated level, is it possible to then change it's level after it is loaded.
    peace.
    curtis.

curtis@SoFierce.com

www.sofierce.com

Banned
    Yes, simply re-load it on the other level. Since the movie is now cached on the user's system, it should be really fast.

hmmmm, not sure if that will work. i have a background image for a portfolio site. the background image is actually one of the portfolio images. i want to load new images (with some animation) on top of current background image. if i reload current background image to new layer, it wil replay the begining animation, plus i think there would be some lag.....ideally, i would like to load a movie to _level2, play opening animation, unload movie at _level1 and then drop movie at _level2 to _level1, and be able to repeat this cycle....hoipe this makes sense.
    peace.
    curtis.

curtis@SoFierce.com

www.sofierce.com

urecka!

actually i did find a work around within your answer, not sure if this is what you meant, BUT i actually can reload the MC (since it should be cached) once the animation is done, i reload same MC to a lower level, jump to static image bypassing the opening animation and then unload the MC at the higher level.

YEAH. hope this works. thanks.
    peace.
    curtis.

curtis@SoFierce.com

www.sofierce.com

Banned
    The main movie's level is _level0 and not _level1. So you need to have something on _level0 to begin with, be it an empty movie with just some actionscript to load other movies on other levels. So from this main movie you could thus load some background picture on _level1, then load an external movie on _level2, and then do whatever you want... Change the background picture on _level1 from any level, load new movies on _level2 or whatever else, as long as you don't load a new movie on _level0, thus clearing all previously loaded movies on all levels. For that matter, if you keep loading movies on the same level (except on _level0), no need to unload the previous movie, the new movie loaded will automatically replace the previous one.

All of this could also be done with empty container clips, on different layers, all contained in one main movie. No use of levels then!

thanks, this i new about _level0. i usually have a "mainframe" MC, _level0 onto which the rest of my MC's are loaded onto. the solution of loading the MC again after the animation plays is working like a charm! i just had to add a simple switch to determine wether to play the animation or jump to static image once MC is loaded.

thanks so much! it's sunday, and i think my brain don't wanna work on no sunday.

cheers.
    peace.
    curtis.

curtis@SoFierce.com

www.sofierce.com