A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: new game

This Thread is a god send I want to make a game that is basically like this looking at all the AS there is I know that im a real newb. My game is kind of simple and kind of cruel... You have the canon and you shoot babies at a wall you can move and the point system is based on pain i guess. No blood or gore kind of like Stair Dismount if you played it. Maybe even a target for more points. The thing that I would need is like collision detection between the wall and baby so its realistic and a good score system. Can you help me D and J???

Ok, first off, can you tell me what version Flash you have so I make it in a usable format :P lol. Secondly, just to verify, you want to fire babies instead of cannonballs, and when they hit a wall, deflect off (or splat?) and you get points based on pain?

There are 2 .fla you can have here, one for MX and 1 for Flash5, so you can check those out too if you want to look how it was done.

SO, just gimme a little more detail and maybe i can help

Originally posted by Matt105
    Thanks D and J, this is going to help out alot.
    No problem, I'm lookin forward to seeing your finished products

D and J your awesome I just wanted to tell you that, most people don't help newbs to boards so thanx. I'm using Flash MX and I thinking that if the babies were launched at a certain speed they might splat, but the i would most like to do/see is them clip the wall and get some good head topspin.

Well, I'm not sure how familiar you are with AS, if you want the AS then telll me and I'll try and make it up for you, but just use the cannon .fla I included earlier (either the flash 5 or Flash MX one) and make another wall, this time vertical, and have it check for collision. then have if horizontal speed is equal to a certain amount the baby goes to "splat" and if below a certain speed, have it ricoche off at a 90 degree angle.

That is beyond my skills so i guess i'm asking for help on collision. Just wondering how long did it take for you to make the first .fla ?

D and J I have been working on the file you gave me and I made sort of my own but I used your AS, but I want to be driving a tank and the cannon to be attached to the tank. I made a movie clip and that can only be moved on the x axis. I group the cannon and that together and made another movie cliped called tank 2 but then the firing doesnt work. Any ideas?
    Matt

ATDI, didnt take long, maybe about 5 or 10 minutes for teh Flash 5 one, i'll get you what u need as soon as i can.

Matt, I think the problem you have is that when you put the movie clip of the cannon into the movie clip of the tank it screwed it up, because now you have to specifiy that the variables you want are in the tank movie clip. like, tank2.cannon, you need to make sure you tell the rpogram what clip the cannon is in.

Wow and thanks, i didn't want to ask if it took a while to do. You must have some seriuos skills.

Here, sorry it took so long.

www.dandjmedia.com/cannon2.swf

What it does is if the horizontal speed is less than or equal to 15 it will deflect off, otherwise it splats adn stops on the wall (no splat animation on the ball.)

Try it. For speed of 20 and angle of 45 will bounce off, while a speed of 30 and angle of 30 will splat.

Hope it helps

*EDIT - uploaded new file at 30 fps*
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by D and J Media; 04-19-2003 at 02:35 AM.

Also, a note to both of ya, the ball may appear somewhat laggy, thats due to teh fact i just used the default 12 fps lol. If you want it faster, just set your framerate and go into the code, where you see gravity = 8.9/12, change it to 9.8/30 and elapsed = 12*(now-then)/1000 to 30*(now-then)/1000

This is great i'm going to put things into this and post it because i'll most likely get lost. thanks

Sure thing

AAAAAhhh need to try and do this before this thread becomes old and homosexual. Damn easter and halo.

Halo was involved? Well, thats understandable