A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Graphics Tablets

Graphics Tablets

Allrighty, here's a question for all you hard line artistic types:

what's good and what's crap in terms of drawing tablets? I am thinking of purchasing one and have found some 'Genius' tablets for quite cheap but they don't seem to have as many features as the Wacom ones (but are a darn sight cheaper). How much does the size matter? Is an A6 sized one a real hassle to use?

Cheers for any help,
    Siriuss.

Graphics Tablets

I have been using tablets since they came out I have a little Wacom, quite frankly I like the cordless mouse the best, the pens are hard on the fingers and can be tricky to use. I have also used trackballs, which I really like the best, but they have become to large for my tiny petitie hands. Spent a bundle trying all types of mouse technology, and landed on the cordless mouse.
    WildChili.com

I have a pablo tablet, it's 10x8 and cost me $99 at a local CompUsa 2 yrs ago. For being so cheap it works really well. At work we have a large Wacom with all the brushes and bells and whistles, only difference is that the airbrush (all are wireless too) is a bit more sensitive, but in my opinion not worth the $1500 or whatever that we paid for it. I would start with something cheap that is a little larger than the low end wacoms to try out – you may not like the tablet – not everyone does. I personally only use it for illustrations.
    ellin

Just got one...

Hey there, I've been looking at E-bay for a long time (4 months) trying to find a Wacom, which came heavily recomended. I had never used a tablet before, and I can't imagine how I've gone with out one for the last 25 years. It really is awesome. I've got a 9x12", with the pen and the wireless mouse, I prefer the pen a lot more. Theres a more natural feel when drawing.

I thought it would be wierd drawing on a 6x8 so i kept looking for a 9x12. Now, i think the 9x12 might be a little excessive, but I wouldn't trade it. Check out ebay for the Intuos and Intuous2, thats my suggestion.

Cheers for the replies. We just got a Wacom at work, so I'll see how I get along with that, looks like it could take a bit of getting used to

it always snows in Albany, but never in Austin :)
    The wacom was the best computer related purchase I have ever made. I even use it in place of my mouse. its much faster and more productive as long as you dont drink too much coffee (then your hand wiggles uncontrollably...or maybe that was the crack I just smoked) anyways I love my 8x6....almost as much as I love my GF...its close! Only thing Wacom could do better would be to make their tablets wireless...that would ROCK.

Here are some things I've painted with my wacom:

www.edevstudios.com/neo.jpg
    www.edevstudios.com/neodetail.jpg
    www.edevstudios.com/images/lennonbg1600.jpg
    www.edevstudios.com/images/juliabg1600.jpg
    www.edevstudios.com/images/DP_grandma.jpg
    www.edevstudios.com/deepcolor.jpg

The first thrown stone
    i have an aiptek 9x12 i bought for $150. same as wacom but cheaper
    no, your techno-garbage-machination-jerkoff site is not cool

Sixtailer: some wicked pics there. Why do I feel you could paint with lump of **** and a broken broom handle and still produce something feckin amazing? Mere mortals like me are having problems adjusting to the tablet - it's too sensitive one minute and notr enough another. At work we've got it running on an bottom range Mac and none of the extras seem to have installed, will bring it home and try it on my PC and see if I can get along with it a bit better.

(plus tracing seems a nightmare - you lift up the pen then put it back down but the cursor's moved on - grrr)

it always snows in Albany, but never in Austin :)
    ahhh dont try tracing...I never have...well maybe once or twice in the beginning...never a good idea...besides it doesnt work like its supposed to anyways

wacom here also. works a treat!

I have a wacom tablet (the smallest, cheapest for 100. us dollars). Works great and came with some decent software. The hardest part for me was drawing and looking at a screen, instead of looking at the paper. The wireless mouse is excellent and could be considered a freebee.
    Any programming language is at its best before it is implemented and used.

Hallelluja! I have been converted!

Installed the drivers on my PC and bugger me was it good. Very smooth, very controllable and I love the eraser on top the pen.

Tomorrow I shall buy one for myself.
    Thanks for all your help. If you need me, I'll be in the back garden, burning my mouse.

my first try

Hey everyone.

Somebody owed me money and decided to get away just by giving me a drawind tablet. it's cheap!

I don't know the brand, but here is my first try

http://www.spectrumdreams.com/svetozar/girl1.htm

I don't know why nobody believes me... anyway..

Keep the good work!