A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Dutch killer gets 18 years...

Dutch killer gets 18 years...

Dutch politician's killer gets 18 years
    15 April 2003
    The assassin of Dutch populist politician Pim Fortuyn was jailed for 18 years today.

Animal rights activist Volkert van der Graaf admitted shooting Mr Fortuyn at point-blank range nine days before the elections last May which swept the taboo-breaking politician's novice party into power.

Mr Fortuyn, 54, a homosexual who courted controversy by calling for an immigration freeze and criticising Islam, was shot outside a radio station in Hilversum, near Amsterdam. Van der Graaf was arrested minutes later.

"The accused went about his plan to kill the victim with calm consideration," the presiding judge told a court in Amsterdam.
    Whaaaaa? Get me to Amsterdam quick. That's a pretty weak sentence, even by Euro standards, don't you think?

18 years is not that light, honesty.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

I'm with gerb. Imagine being in a cell from birth until the end of high school.

Señor member
    I dunno, I feel 18 years is pretty fair for premeditated killing where the victim was shot 9 times at close range.

I totally disagree with the death penalty but I thought 18 years seems about right. The alarming thing is he'll probably be out in 12.
    Company, Meet Creative
    ------------------------
    welcomebrand

Re: Dutch killer gets 18 years...

Originally posted by gdstudios
    Whaaaaa? Get me to Amsterdam quick.
    what where you planning to do then?

I agree 18 years is a long time, but I'd kinda hoped they'd keep him locked for life since this was the first political murder in Holland since 1672

for life is something like 25 years in Holland btw :/
    lalalalalalala

Premeditated killing, 9 shots...I'd give this guy life. (or in his case, enough years that he'll spend the rest of his life in prison)

He stole someone's life...permanently. It should be the justice system's responsiblity to make sure that he has the capability to commit this crime again.

That's a battery sentence, not first degree murder.

Originally posted by jamble7000
    I dunno, I feel 18 years is pretty fair for premeditated killing where the victim was shot 9 times at close range.

I totally disagree with the death penalty but I thought 18 years seems about right. The alarming thing is he'll probably be out in 12.
    I totally disagree with the death penalty too, but I don't see any factors in this premeditated murder that would warrant any leniency, I think he should have gotten life, even if fortuyn was a 'dutch hitler' this was a premeditated crime, a political assassination.

I wouldn't mind so much if 18 years meant 18 years but as you say it doesn't. Life and out in 18 years ok, but I do think this is a 'light' sentence.

Originally posted by aversion
    I totally disagree with the death penalty too, but I don't see any factors in this premeditated murder that would warrant any leniency, I think he should have gotten life, even if fortuyn was a 'dutch hitler' this was a premeditated crime, a political assassination.

I wouldn't mind so much if 18 years meant 18 years but as you say it doesn't. Life and out in 18 years ok, but I do think this is a 'light' sentence.
    Well put. That's how I feel, assuming of course, that the death penalty is out of the question, which it is in Holland right?

http://www.flipshark.com flipshark's Avatar
    Life is about 60-65 years right?

Man slaughter can get you 10 years easily, I've even heard cases of involuntary manslaughter (IE drunk driving) landing people 7 years without parole.

I'd have to say 18 years is a joke, it may seem like a long time as someone said from birth-end of highschool. But this person took a life, not by accident (3rd degree), not in a fit of rage or jealousy (2nd degree), but a premeditated act whichwas thought out and planned then carried out.

Someone who can stand inches away from a person they've never met (assuming killer just disagreed with victims views) and pull a trigger 9 times, should never again see the light of day.

FK's Official A&A Addict
    i think this must be one of highest sentences they ever gave for murder, mostly they get of in 10-15 years... maybe even less....

life, in england anyway, can be just that, there are several people in england's jails who the government has said will never get parole. I'm not sure exactly how it works but usually the judge at the time recommends a period after which parole might be obtained, but in the end it's up to the home secretary if parole is allowed or not.

Originally posted by justice strike
    i think this must be one of highest sentences they ever gave for murder, mostly they get of in 10-15 years... maybe even less....
    in nederland? That's pretty crazy, most premeditated murders in england seem to get life when there's no mitigating circumstances. More often than not a murder verdict is in the news and it's life.

Originally posted by flipshark
    Life is about 60-65 years right?

Man slaughter can get you 10 years easily, I've even heard cases of involuntary manslaughter (IE drunk driving) landing people 7 years without parole.

I'd have to say 18 years is a joke, it may seem like a long time as someone said from birth-end of highschool. But this person took a life, not by accident (3rd degree), not in a fit of rage or jealousy (2nd degree), but a premeditated act whichwas thought out and planned then carried out.

Someone who can stand inches away from a person they've never met (assuming killer just disagreed with victims views) and pull a trigger 9 times, should never again see the light of day.
    I like the way you think flipshark. Using some common sense never hurts.

FK's Official A&A Addict
    we do have quite low punishment here in the netherlands.... but hey were used to it

yeah i know im from Amsterdam too..example: here you just can say f##k off to a cop..with a joint in your hand..and he'll do nothing you should try that joke in the US..
    PC-system: PC/486, 66 MHz, 16 MB RAM, Floppy-interface