A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: my site...

my site...

ive been doin my site for about a week (4 days to design, 3 days to animate) and im pretty proud of it. because when u look at a site for nearly 7 days straight, it loses charm and looks, it just gets boring, so im hopin you guys can tell me whether it is boring or ugly or **** or a load of ****.
    thanks a lot........
    http://www.jh-design.vze.com/
    jh

PS - sorry about the geocities-ness, i just cant afford a half decent
    host yet

I like it, Its original, loaded fast, one thing do...your navigation is really hard to find, and hard to read...try putting more time into animaton for transitions...like opening and stuff...

looks great

mrmass
    www.mrmass.com

Originally posted by desvsmass
    I like it, Its original, loaded fast, one thing do...your navigation is really hard to find, and hard to read...try putting more time into animaton for transitions...like opening and stuff...

looks great

mrmass
    www.mrmass.com
    thanks for the comments. i have tried to make a balance between HTML and Flash usage on my site. do you think mite be a bad thing? as for the menu, i was unsure to whether it would be easy to read or find so ther was only one wa to find out, so i put it on here.
    thanks agen (i will take into account what youve said)
    jh

dude, it won't load for me and I have a T1 256k per second line...what's up?

hhhhhhmmmmmmmm.... how far do you get? does the html content at the bottom load up? have you even clicked the logo to enter?
    jh

Man, I'm getting a freakin' blank screen with default background an no matter what browser I use, it won't load...is your site hosting limited with traffic or is it down right now perhaps?

okay...update...the pop up ad or another script was trying to run something or have me click something...I've got my own browser filter code to screen out that stuff....when I disabled it, your site loaded and I got two unwanted pop ups...then I was depressed for having to change my settings...

but the site is pretty cool...maybe change to a more unique font to fit your style of site?
    Last edited by DFWStudios; 04-16-2003 at 08:36 PM.

sorry bout all the twattin about you went thru... not my fault (never has been, never is, never will). it will be geocities. i put it up on there because i havent managed to get a decent host yet. thast what all the pop ups are. i know, it sucks arse but if its ther, it cant be helped.

do you think that the mix of html and flash works? or shud i change it to full flash (not full html, i arent that deprived or desperate)??? i will have a look at some different fonts to make it easier to read. i would like arial at 10pts but in pixels (not AA) but there is no other way to do that apart from to set it as a device font, but then i cant animate it
    cheers
    jh
    Last edited by not very flash at all; 04-16-2003 at 08:46 PM.

No problem.

My hosting company for my clients and my many sites is:

Premium Host

Make sure you contact 'Norm' and say Randy with DFWStudios sent you. I don't get any kickback, that's just how great his service is!

Regarding the flash or html or combo...it's a 'you' thing and what target audience you are after. Our latest site version 4 is all flash 6. We used to be combo html and flash, originally all html. I see a trend here!

IMO, 10pts is too small, go 11 or 12pts but pick a cool font that's both readable and not too bulky with regards to taking up much 'space' on a per character basis. And fonts in flash gives you 1,000's more possibilities than using CSS and HTML coding...remember the user's browser and OS and installed fonts determine what font is used despite the CSS Style Sheet or HTML Coding...but if embedded in flash...they only need the plugin man!

cheers
    ill think about the hosting because i dont have much money ATM (i.e none). ill work on getting my site finished first. the font on the menu is a size 8 pixel font. i didnt think this would be a good idea in the first place but lookin at the state of the other fonts i have it was either that or comic sans
    do you know anywer wer i can get a font that would suit my site? i was thinkn something on the small size, all upper case?
    cheers agen
    jh

changed my site to all flash, changed the font to a small (but readable) all caps pixel font and just added a few more animations etc...
    tell me what you think
    jh

make the hit area of your links longer. it is harder than usual to pinpoint your small square hit areas.

Hi there,
    I like it.....I like it........but///////////////get rid of the NAV.

Cheers,
    micmac
    !.....................................COMING SOON

I am assuming your trying to pick up clients with this site.
    1) Navigation is confusing
    2) Do not like the type-Too small and bad choice of font
    3) Too much going on, a distraction. Clients are bottom line-They want to view your work as quickly as possible without jumping through hoops.
    4) Expand your portfolio, I could only view the Logos.
    5) Work on a set style and carry it through on every page and you need a Logo and catch phrase that will leave the client with a imprint.

Good Start.
    eggheadstudio.com...version 2.0...coming soon

thanks for all the ........ stuff

i have only really started so ill still tweak it a bit (or a lot)... shud the nav go completely or just make it bigger? shud i go for a bigger font? if yes, any suggestions?
    cheers
    jh

I think you need one of those following navigation, as u move your mouse, once clicked opens up... u choose and then closes...because your background is well designed with a lot of details...

just a thought...

mrmass
    www.mrmass.com

wow, very very nice, original too! great job

perfect...for me

even more thanks for the comments... i havent been usin flash long, ive been using fireworks mostly and i thought id risk it and shell out on flash because i like macromedia products. i like the "menu attached to mouse" idea a lot. would i do this with "on release telltarget 'whatever' to play? then when a menu item is clicked tell it to play again? but wouldnt it have to play backwards to go away? how would i do this?
    cheers
    jh

[UPDATE]- i have uploaded the swf again with a few changes and an example page transition, tell me what you think. i have also made the hotspots bigger for the buttons, but im sure ill change the menu anyway
    Last edited by not very flash at all; 04-20-2003 at 12:46 PM.

yo I will attach the file for this following menu idea, you can easily change the graphics as u want, and aslo u can modify the speed and other stuff in action script.

get it here

http://www.mrmass.com/public/following_menu.fla
    http://www.mrmass.com/public/following_menu.swf

hope this helps

mrmass
    www.mrmass.com

thanks... ill have a mess about 2morro and show u how it turns out
    http://www.jh-ip.vze.com
    jamie hunter:interactive portfolio