A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: fill in the blank quiz

Hybrid View

fill in the blank quiz

I would like to make a fill in the blank quiz for my class that requires a student to type an answer into a text box, how do I include a text box using 3D Flash Animator and have it checked for the correct word?

example: "I ____ a donut yesterday." -- if the student types 'ate' the message 'Correct' will appear. if not, the message 'Wrong" will appear.

Thanks

Re: fill in the blank quiz

Originally posted by teacher99
    I would like to make a fill in the blank quiz for my class that requires a student to type an answer into a text box, how do I include a text box using 3D Flash Animator and have it checked for the correct word?

example: "I ____ a donut yesterday." -- if the student types 'ate' the message 'Correct' will appear. if not, the message 'Wrong" will appear.

Thanks
    Here's an interesting trick.

You can add an editbox element to a text element.

Create a text elememt that is the sentance like above. Then remove the individual letter elements for the word you want to test.

Then add an editbox element, set the variable to something that makes sense and turn off multiline and make the font a little smaller, then position it/size it to fit the hole in the sentence.

Now make a button add a script to the button up action that checks the value of the variable and do what ever is appropriate.

There is also another way to go, search the forum for the CBT thread I did a more complex example that loads from a data file so you can change the test. (that code was incomplete and would need updating for v4)

Attached is example of added editbox to sentence. V4 source!!!!

NOTE!!!!!
    I didn't test this on export before and now that I have there is a prpoblem with this approach, the editbox is not positioned correctly, I will submit it to support perhaps it will be fixed in final release. You could through trial and error get it positioned I think
    Last edited by blanius; 02-28-2009 at 12:48 PM.

Great job Blanius! The newer 4.3 does not have that upgrade as of yet to fix the problem. As a teacher, you may want to add to your software needs using Hot Potatoes, http://web.uvic.ca/hrd/halfbaked/.

It's designed to do what you are wanting. But, it doesn't give the wonderful animation effects and other benefits that apply to 3DFA. You could incorporate the two using frames in your HTML.

Here is an example of it in use with both 3DFA and Hot Potatoes:

http://ww2.chandler.k12.az.us/jacobs...ry/k1/abc.html
    PW Ihms

Arem

not bad

I didn't know you could do that! Anyway, i made something like with 3dfa 3.72. I'm looking for it as I type. (That'd be pretty difficult if it were true!) It's exactly what you need. If i can find it and convert it to 4, i'll post it!