dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: GTA, The Getaway...

GTA, The Getaway...

Has anyone ever tried to make a game like these with Flash? I was playing The Getaway last night and I couldn't help but notice how the graphics, although good, can all be done with Swift or another 3D program.

Obviously, we don't have teams of programmers putting 70,000 hours into out mini games and movies, but what about samples.

Those games as far as I understand have a fully simulated 3d environment. Swift only makes 3d animations, so you wouldn't be able to make the needed anumations for every single action the player could possibly do. BlinkOk made a racing game called FlashKart Kazoowee that's pretty close, but it isn't an actual 3d environment, it's an animation, which means you can't go wherever you want in it. Besides swift 3d adds a lot of file size to swf's.

Flash can't handle games like that, it would be incredibly slow.
    But you could make the old gta games in flash (Gta 1,2 and london.)
    Too make games like gta 3 or vice city you would need a different program. Go to http://azz.gouranga.com They don't have any games but people have sent some cars in they made for gta3 and you can download them and somehow insert them into your gta3 game.

My friend billy ate his own chin!

Just remember before simply downloading those cars to ask the creators IF you can download them. They're pretty protective of their creations. I'd be too.

I'm sure it's alright downloading the cars as long as you use them just for your own personal use in the gta games, but people would get annoyed if you start using them in your own games with out permission.
    I think the 3d car making is very complicated but it's good fun having ago making the cars for old gta games.

Kirill's game GTA has 3D

I have 3D scenes in the new version of my game, but nothing thats even close to the getaway! They rendered over 24 miles of London! I doubt you'll ever get something like that in flash... maybe in director, but not in flash

It would be very hard making a game as good as the getaway, even if you did have the right equipment, millions went into that game and there were hundreds working for it.

What's the coding language for director?

Lingo, it is way more difficult than actionscript.

An easier way to do it is this program...

I got it a week ago and I am in love.
    http://www.conitec.net/a4info.htm

It is a complete 3d game engine with enough basic scripts to get a guy started. that, plus there is enough low-cost 3D ware out there now that you don't need $10,000 worth of stuff to get going.

Also, Lingo is based on C+ and so are most of the stuff from that game engine...they kind of go hand in hand.
    Last edited by captfc; 04-25-2003 at 12:46 PM.

Lingo, it is way more difficult than actionscript.

An easier way to do it is this program...

I got it a week ago and I am in love.
    http://www.conitec.net/a4info.htm

It is a complete 3d game engine with enough basic scripts to get a guy started. that, plus there is enough low-cost 3D ware out there now that you don't need $10,000 worth of stuff to get going.

Also, Lingo is based on C+ and so are most of the stuff from that game engine...they kind of go hand in hand.
    if you're proficient with actionscript, lingo is not huge leap. director 8.5+ has some excellent 3d implemtation specially with tasty physics engines like havoc that do a lot of the work for you.

I'm sure there was a good director-from-flash-user thread a while back that talks about the cross over in more detail

Being a flash head has helped immensely, but it's like learning another language. You relearn syntax, idioms etc.

Instead of getUrl and an idiot-proof GUI, you have getNetPage "insert url" (just a simple example)

Also, there are WAY less support sites for Director than Flash...(if anyone out there feels like being a mentor, let me know!)

I am just a hobby computer nerd and it was slow going. Maybe others had more success, but I am glad that I found Flash before Director.

I have Win NT, which there isn't a DirectX version for, so I wouldn't be able to install Director and I can't play Shockwave content . Director sounds like a wonderful program, that I'd like to have some day, though.