dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Web -> Print Graphics Dilemma!

Web -> Print Graphics Dilemma!

hi guys,

I have this horrible dilemma. I made this detailed header graphic for a website and my boss had this idea of using the header for a print promo in a magazine. He is set on using this graphic which was of course made in 72dpi originally for web. I tried resampling to 300dpi and it still looks horrible and fuzzy. The only other option I think I have is to recreate the graphic which I can't even remember what I did to create it in the first place. I probably used about 5 72dpi images to make it including a 3ds max image and I don't even have the original file anymore that I took the screenshot from. =( Also used tons of filters and textures and color changes and I can't remember which ones I used or what I did.

I asked him if we could just use the logo and create something else for the promo, but he is set on using this.

I don't know much about print either and I don't know what I am supposed to do! =(

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Brandy
    i wish i had a sig

"I don't even have the original file anymore that I took the screenshot from."

don't get that...

but I think there's no other option then redoing the whole thing for as good or bad as it goes.
    can't be that hard if you did the original in the first place...

i dont know much about print either but is it really a problem if u just keep it at 72dpi?
    I know text looks blurry like that but i designed a leaflet usin all the images on the page as 72dpi and it came out fine how big is the print ganna be?

"I don't even have the original file anymore that I took the screenshot from."

"don't get that... "

I don't have the original max file of the rendered image I saved. The bitmap I saved is in 72dpi.

-------

It's a page in a magazine, but the actual header part is about 7in * 1.5in. And yes I tried to sneek by with a resample and I was caught They will not print anything lower than 300dpi.

Am I going to have to take out the pencil tool and redraw every pixel??

I cannot recreate with the old images because they are in 72 dpi too. SOooo I would have to recreate each of the old images to 300dpi which would waste more time than just penciling it =\

ugh this sucks.

I guess there is no easy way out.

Thanks
    i wish i had a sig

erm yeah redraw every pixel
    then u might even get a raise LOL

if all you have is the 72dpi image you're not going to get something print worthy out of it I'm afraid.

well after a long day of boringness the impossible became possible and I finished redrawing the graphic.

all I can say is I hope I never have to do that again.
    i wish i had a sig

depending on how complex it was you could always import it into flash and trace bitmap, with the right settings you could make it look pretty good, unless its a pretty complex peice

Wish I saw this sooner

here is what I do in PS7, I open a new file same size and dimensions of the original, set the resolution to 500, that keeps the image area the same size, then I copy and paste the original image in layers, it tightens the pixels a little and then you can finesse the layers to look sharper.

I have had this problem many times, and have found out the best way for print (and printers who know their stuff will tell you this) is to make the original image in the highest resolution possible, and then start taking it down to the size you need.

take a look at my site, my images originally contain hundreds of layers to give it a 3D effect, they are all painted (on computer) by hand and now print beautifully with vivid detail.

My art work will be showcased at Agora Gallery in New York this December 2003, so I had to be sure it would print correctly.

www.wildchili.com
    WildChili.com

?

hey, Mystix, could you show us your creation?